Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing Supreme Court Judge Antonin Scalia (Read 60028 times)

Re: Replacing Supreme Court Judge Antonin Scalia

Reply #300
There's hospital visitation rights, inheritance, adoption, immigration, etc., etc.
Which is why that "sacrament" was really the US constitution. Denying those benefits (and many others) to same-sex couples was found to be against equal protection of the law. This is unlikely to change no matter how many appointees to SCOTUS Trump picks.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #301
It's true, such "rights" are unlikely to change. I don't think they should either. But they surely didn't require constitutional protection.
Drama queens never stop performing:)

Laws and regulations — nah, Sang, you'll never understand; you want someone who agrees with you to be able to tell everyone else what to do.

Some of us think that that is not the job of the judiciary.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #302
ABA Committee Unanimously Awards Gorsuch Its ‘Strongest Affirmative Endorsement’
By Ed Whelan — March 10, 2017
The American Bar Association’s Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary has unanimously awarded Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch its highest rating of “Well Qualified.”
Here’s the Committee’s fuller explanation (emphasis added) of what “Well Qualified” means for a Supreme Court nominee:
To merit the Committee’s rating of “Well Qualified,” a Supreme Court nominee must be a preeminent member of the legal profession, have outstanding legal ability and exceptional breadth of experience, and meet the very highest standards of integrity, professional competence and judicial temperament. The rating of “Well Qualified” is reserved for those found to merit the Committee’s strongest affirmative endorsement.
进行 ...

Reply #303
The "usual suspects" have not commented… :)

Mind you: When a Democrat calls for a "mainstream" candidate, they mean a progressive social-justice warrior who will ignore the Constitution whenever their "feelings" are challenged…
Because -you know- Democrats are "the good guys/gals/glyphs"!

Welcome, Justice Gorsuch! (Premature, I know! But a little gloating seems appropriate…)
进行 ...

Reply #304
Well, better late than never.......Supreme Court Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, solidifying a 5 to 4 Conservative Supreme Court.

Pssssst.......Hint: She's of failing health........Rumor has it we will be watching the Senate vote on President Trump's second Conservative Supreme Court Justice Nominee around about the same time next year, maybe much sooner.........Stay tuned!

Poor, Poor Midnight........

In times of universal deceit, telling the honest truth is a revolutionary act.

Reply #305
Fascinating. A terrorist supporter here waxing on mature democratic politics?! :faint:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #306
Fascinating. A terrorist supporter here waxing on mature democratic politics?!  :faint:
Forgive me from reminding you: SF is one of those few people left who thinks he has reason to resent genocide and political oppression.
Hasn't Great Britain's "success" taught him anything?

I'll grant you that Sam Adams (…not the current brewer!) was a terrorist.  If you didn't know, he's the one who orchestrated the Boston Tea Party…

I'll await your ABO with some glee… (It's bound to come, sooner or later: Given how many busybodies you house in your country.)

The time will come when you'll have appreciated the writing down of your constitution… Well, not you; your heirs. (Certainly not your hairs!)
进行 ...

Reply #307
SF is one of those few people left who thinks he has reason to resent genocide and political oppression.
Then we have a very different idea of what "thinks" means. Funny to have people around with no common vocabulary to communicate with.

Reply #308
You can read French but you can't understand English? Do you not know what Britain did to the Irish? (Soviet schools taught a lot , of propaganda. Did you buy it all? :) ) "Uncle Joe" was very nice to those in Georgia… But, for some, it fell down the "memory hole".

Were the IRA a terrorist organization? Certainly. Should the British government have pursued them with all the legal means available (and perhaps others…)? Of course.
I never contributed to the cause, because they were terrorists. Others made different choices.

ersi, your knowledge of history is deficient.
进行 ...

Reply #309
You can read French but you can't understand English?
We are not talking about English, not the language anyway.

E.g.

ersi, your knowledge of history is deficient.
Is history English or does it belong to English? You seem to assume yes. That's what makes you incomprehensible. You are from a different planet, dude.

Reply #310
So Oakdale doesn't feel lonely he is not the only one from another planet! Dude/ (groan)

Reply #311
Is history English or does it belong to English? You seem to assume yes. That's what makes you incomprehensible. You are from a different planet, dude.
I can understand why you'd know next to nothing about the history between England, Scotland and Ireland. (As I suspect you can -if you'd try- understand why SF and I would know more…) What makes me "incomprehensible" to you is that I don't subscribe to your biases and I don't think ersi is the center of the universe! :)

Howie criticizes Smileyfaze for supporting (…yeah, he probably did) the IRA way back when. I refer to a way-way back when that you seem to be unaware of; Howie, of course, knows about it — but, as an Orangeman, he's -well, orange: Equal parts red and yellow. So he doesn't say anything. (But does he ever? :) ) And you want me to believe that you're unaware of all of this?
Great Britain killed a great many Irish, for fun and profit. The tables turned a while ago, and things have got better.

What has all this to do with replacing Justice Scalia?
进行 ...

Reply #312
I can understand why you'd know next to nothing about the history between England, Scotland and Ireland. (As I suspect you can -if you'd try- understand why SF and I would know more…) What makes me "incomprehensible" to you is that I don't subscribe to your biases and I don't think ersi is the center of the universe! :)
I know history just fine, including the history of British conquests and adventures everywhere. And I know that these have no relation to someone called "Uncle Joe" and to the comprehension of English language, because history can be studied in any language. You evidently don't care to explain the supposed relation either, so you remain on that different planet of yours.

Reply #313
"Uncle Joe" was Josef Stalin — you might have heard of him?
History can, indeed, be studied in any language… But Soviet-style propaganda has been used throughout most of my life; yours, too. (Yes: I'd say America has done much the same thing. Radio Free Europe, and some nefarious CIA stuff…)

You agree with Howie that Smileyfaze's support of the IRA puts him "outside the pale"…? (I did so myself, when it mattered. I didn't support -in any way- the IRA. But I did support some of their "issues"…)

In what way does this exchange relate to Justice Gorsuch's nomination (and confirmation)?
Was Scalia an ardent Irish nationalist?
————————————————————————
Since you don't care to keep to a topic (Howie really only has one topic…and we all know what that is!), I have a question for you:

What do you think Estonia is trending towards? And do you like it? :)
进行 ...

Reply #314
Britain killed for pleasure and profit, Oakdale? You old religion has came back and a load of old cobblers.. May I remind due to your lack of history (when it doesn't suit you) that there was an attempted revolution in Ireland in the 17th century when large numbers of non RC's were done to death and at Portadown the river did in fact flow red. In 1797 there was another attempt and the rebels carried black flags with a white cross and the initials MWS. That stood for murder without sin. Thankfully my newly founded organisation two years earlier became Militiamen and helped the army put the terrible antics down. The RC Church had made it plain at the time that such a declaration was fine!

As for the potato famine that was no thing conjured up by the British Government  at all. May I also inform that there was a similar thing happened in the north of Scotland as well but rarely mentioned due to the carped propaganda about Ireland. The problem in Ireland were far too many large families too when the incident of the famine occurred and not in a modern society like now. The Church did not help as producing big families in such a society was standardly demanded. The famine also affected many people who supported the British corner too by the way.  With too large a population and a restricted food situation one cannot use the thinking of 21st century stuff to back then and it has been politically corrupted.  Ireland today is a far better place due to education and reducing the power of a certain church that used to control everything but has been pushed back. And the stupidity of saying that the modern terrorism is more justified and right is not just stupid but painfully ignorant. Even a former Irish Prime Minister John Brutin has came out and said on tv that there was no (damn) need for that stupid 1916 Easter Rising. We had already said at Westminster that there would be a government for Dublin but the 1st World war had broken out delaying that.

Reply #315
And Scalia's ouvre is — well, just another excuse for you to rail against the U.S.… You don't have the intellectual means to say anything against Justice Scalia; so, you do what leftists always do: Throw their own shit against the wall, and call it a stain on their opponent's visage!
About WW I, our president at the time was Wilson; he had the least esteem among constitutionalists… Do you remember what he did to Britain— that is, before it was "Great"? Naw. That's just silly. I must have meant after it was Great:)
That, I think, is your real problem with the U.S.: Your country used to be great. but due to circumstances it no longer is…

Still, I wonder: What do you have to say about Scalia's replacement? (Or had you forgot what the topic of this thread was about? :) — Oops! Silly me! Every thread is about how bad America is, for the likes of you! :) )
进行 ...

Reply #316
About American "justice", now we have double executions per day.... by the reason that the stock of lethal product reaches the end of validity date...

I wonder what the UN is waiting for expulsing such barbarians from the civilized comunity.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #317
I wonder what the UN is waiting for expulsing such barbarians from the civilized comunity.
As always, wondering who else will pay the bills… :)
进行 ...

Reply #318
Americans are brainwashed into thinking they have a wonderful country but as i have listed the truth the honest picture is a disgrace.

Reply #321
Every thread is about how bad America is, for the likes of you! :)
Q.E.D.
Oakdale is right.
Not because America is not bad, but because he's being the only one defending it.

A forum can't be about twenty massacring one.

Well, it looks like the Trump appointed replacement to Justice Scalia has made his standing known on any issues regarding the Second Amendment, even though the SCOTUS has decided to ignore this particular issue/case for the time being:

[glow=green,2,300]Supreme Court Declines to Take Carry Case, but Gorsuch Casts a Solidly Pro-Gun Vote[/glow]

Source:      NRA-ILA     
Gun owners received disappointing news on Monday when the U.S. Supreme Court declined to review a decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit that effectively let stand California’s “may-issue” permitting regime. The upshot of this decision is that law-abiding Californians in many areas of the state will be effectively denied the right to “bear” arms in public for self-defense.

But there was a silver lining to this development as Justice Neil M. Gorsuch – President Trump’s pick to replace the late, great Antonin Scalia – came out strongly in favor of the Second Amendment by joining a dissent from the court’s decision penned by Second Amendment stalwart Justice Clarence Thomas. Gorsuch’s participation in the dissent confirmed that he, unlike so many of his colleagues in the federal judiciary, is indeed prepared to take the Second Amendment seriously........continued

Bravo Justice Gorsuch, Bravo!   

In times of universal deceit, telling the honest truth is a revolutionary act.