Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in the Americas? (Read 260960 times)

Re: What's Going on in the Americas?

Reply #1250
It is almost as if one of them were the anti-pope.
That, sir, is going too far... But Francis is more Marxist than he is Catholic. :(
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #1251
I thought popes Francis and Benedict XVI are very different Catholics.
Different persons, the same Catholics. In fact, the second has chosen the first, that you can be sure. There was no revolution, just continuity.

A matter of attitude.

Reply #1252
This must be a topic for the What's Going on in the Vatican City State? thread. Though there are some very strange American Catholics around. Whether that is because they are American, because they are Catholics, or because of the combination thereof I am not the one to tell.

Anyway, the US got a Catholic president again. Yay/nay? The last one was John F. Kennedy.

Reply #1253
Though there are some very strange American Catholics around.
Hey! I resemble that remark! :) Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!
进行 ...

Reply #1254
I thought popes Francis and Benedict XVI are very different Catholics.
Different persons, the same Catholics. In fact, the second has chosen the first, that you can be sure. There was no revolution, just continuity.

I'd thought not, too... But Despair is a Sin!
The Vatican announced on Monday that blessings for unions of same-sex people are “illicit” because God “cannot bless sin,” while blessings for individual persons with homosexual inclinations are permissible.

The Vatican’s orthodoxy office, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, issued a formal response of “negative” to a question of whether the Catholic churches have the power to give the blessing to unions of persons of the same sex on March 15.

Pope Francis approved this response.

Will wonders ever cease?! :)
进行 ...

Reply #1255
Though there are some very strange American Catholics around.
Hey! I resemble that remark! :) Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!
You mean you are some sort of strange American Catholic? Are you doing what strange American Catholics are supposed to do?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXCitlsA7eQ[/video]

I personally am doing something similar in my spare time, converting webpages to ebooks for reading and sometimes sharing. Except that I go through Emacs Org mode, which has all the necessary features for text processing, including footnotes, so the trick shown in the video with Latex and Vim works in Emacs also, and even better, because Org mode would not pose issues with line breaks.

I suspect you are an even stranger Catholic though, voting for Trump who, besides lacking Catholic values, has no values whatsoever. Did you at least vote for JFK back in the day?

Reply #1256
So the US President is a Catholic. The President pro tempore of the US Senate is a Catholic. The Speaker of the House is Catholic. 6 out of 9 US Supreme Court justices are Catholics. Maybe now is the time to turn the Vatican State into the US 51st state?

Think it is safe to say that the US as the domain of White Anglo-Saxon Protestants has well and truly ended.

Reply #1257
Think it is safe to say that the US as the domain of White Anglo-Saxon Protestants has well and truly ended.
Good. Maybe they can now stop treating human beings as "losers".
A matter of attitude.

Reply #1258
I read recently that the new President removed a picture of an early President who was from an Ulster background. He also ditched a small model head of Churchill. Not all Protestants are of the corner being yakked about and the more that long corrupt Church is involved pity America.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #1259
You mean you are some sort of strange American Catholic?
My dear ersi, I'm what's known as a lapsed[1]Meaning that in most places in the U.S. the the best Catholics are those who had lapsed...
I'm so-o lapsed that I've become pro-lapsed!:) Seriously, unless one's family and neighbors are Catholic, remaining other than occasionally Catholic is difficult; then, church-going is akin to a busman's holiday...
进行 ...

Reply #1260
So the US President is a Catholic. The President pro tempore of the US Senate is a Catholic. The Speaker of the House is Catholic. 6 out of 9 US Supreme Court justices are Catholics.
It is safe to assume that you are not Catholic?:)
In your order:
Our president is as Catholic as a vegan cannibal!
Pro tem "Neither Timothy nor Macon Leery" has a well established mission: To provide kindling -if not fodder- for the next Inquisition...[1]
Madam Speaker is vociferous: She makes a mortal sin a high sacrament of her political policies, and still takes Communion? Her final confessor has an onerous task ahead!

The others you mention are sworn to remain impartial and disinterest; honor demands such... (Note: They are un-elected.)
To be supplanted by Fools and Villains? From your lips to the haughty ears of the Prince of Darkness (for whom I still hold out hope of redemption!...).[2]Pray it won't be so![/quote]
Yeah, I understand ee--oore unstated rule of no-names, pleah-lee-as. :)
Yes, a little heresy now in then is good for the organization: It prompts self-reflexion! :)
进行 ...

Reply #1261
Your Speaker is a very inappropriate, ignorant and ridiculous person. I recall when President Trump did a Presidential speech to the House he initially gave the Vice-President and her a copy each in a folder. But at the end of the speech she tore the thing up! How damnably ignorant, stupid and ridiculous is she? Maybe one day the country may have more than two parties and be a proper democracy. There have been massive negatives over there affecting millions of people whist boasting about being a great democracy, bla, bla. Passingly is informing to find how the place is leaning towards RC's in power. Not much of a direction on top of a terrible system. Think that painting I said was removed was of an Irish Protestant. Anyway this President is no improvement on the last one and not much cop at all.

Reply #1263
I give you a "like" for recognizing how apt my figure of speech was... You had no choice but to -as Howie would say- "swerve".  See how accommodating a pointed sense of humor can be? :) But: in my estimation of him -I've only been following his career since the '70s- I'd say: He hasn't the native intelligence to be lapsed; he was and is just an incompetent Catholic, sir.

@Howie: You swaddle any sensible comment you have among the waste products of your many prejudices...and wear them proudly, no less!  You could do with a change! (Someone call his Nanny, please: His nappy reeks... :)
进行 ...

Reply #1264
Ah nutjobland fan I am not full of prejudice  <Deleted>. Have achieved much in my life which verities me well and I am more fortunate that you dear man in that I live in a democracy not one that boasts about the word but that is all. From a proud Scot also proud of Gt Britain.   ;)

Moderator Message: Keep remarks about moderators or moderation off the forum.

Reply #1265
There's no means available to convince of obvious verities [1], RJ:
1. You've yet to understand the Great Scot's simple advice. (Read "To a Louse")
2. Others, too, have accomplishments; including learning their own language and approaching a seemly humility... :)
3. America is not a democracy, and -pray God- it never shall be!
4. I applaud your pride (but deride you boorishness) and think it no fault! :)
and, finally,
5. [I'm pretty sure the mods can take care of themselves, and these forums.]
Would you like to borrow a dictionary? I have several good ones... :)
进行 ...

Reply #1266
Well Oakdale you are distancing yourself from all the guff banged into the ex-colonies by your own media, politicians, etc about a great democracy and should lead the world.  Kind of shows how easy to brain people over there when one considers all the nonsense. Accusing the Russians of interfering in elections with no dashed proof and the way the country interfered politically elsewhere makes me laugh! Enjoy your relaxing sip. :D

Reply #1267
RJ, even you should know: I've been a rugged (thinker) individualist since I attained my majority; I trained ascensively -and arduously- before I scaled the heights I now occupy! Ever been on a 'plane, RJ? (I know you have!:) Remember how the people on the ground looked like ants? You likely remarked the fact to your seatmate; and he or she likely replied, "Those are ants: We haven't taken off yet...:) We have ourselves a similar sit-ye-a-shun, here:
Of course the Russians interfered" with our elections; as we interfere with theirs1 Every major power (and most of the wanna-bes...) try to do unto others *be-fore* they do unto them; it's natural, and to be expected... :)
As for the rest of your blather: "¿Sì no fuera por patochada, què aqui estar?" -- as I've been saying for years! Ya'ole Mangy Monoglot, you...:)
进行 ...

Reply #1268
Put your drink down dear man. That passing comment about you interfering in Russian elections and them in yours is in real terms a load of nonsense. There is no proof Russia was involved in your political farces! But unfortunately too many Yanks can be easily brained so keep a proper sense of balance!  :lol:

Reply #1269
Howie: Nowadays, I'm as teatotal as you! :) (Truth and honest ingen-uity, mon frère... No "official" taking of the oath; nothing cerimonial, like the time the Capp came back to the pub with his hands bandaged - complaining to the barkeep: "Has Chalky been in today...?" Answers, wiping short-beer glass, "Nah! Ain't seen 'em since last night. You an' he left together..."
"Yeah! That's what I remember! But he's got some 'splainin' ta do!" says Andy.
"Oh?"
Capp holds his bandaged hands in front of him: "He must be the clod what stepped on me 'ands as I made for home!"

(I'm off the sauce for good, and ever. Your taunts about past digressions and indiscretions don't bother me: Facts are facts, and -as I've come to realize, in an indisputable way- I'm allergic to alcohol. So, I can avoid it, for medicinal reasons. See?! :)

so keep a proper sense of balance!  :lol:
'Preciate the advice! I'll take it to heart... You telling me taht (sic!)[1]I'm as level and plumb-true could I stan' still, I could be my own sundial! You, howie-ever, list and lean like the Pisa Tower. (Bet ya need the Gall's demonstration a'fore ya believed in Gravity, too! :)
But: XYs believe what you believe and no mere facts are gonna confuse the issue(s) for ya! (Psst! RJ, that a fair = def. of our old friend prejudice, no?:)
Spelling in honor of you skills as tyhpist! [Oops! Real typo there...:)
进行 ...

Reply #1270
Hi there!

It was an old friend of both who once informed me of your previous hobby and had been on the original opera then this one. He did clear off ages ago but he and I kept in touch. Anyway good you are back in charge of the brain so good for you and always tremendous an ex-colonist is determined! If you were ever in Gt Britain and up here I'd give you a glass of Scotland's favourite soft din - Irn Bru!!

Reply #1271
I'd give you a glass of Scotland's favourite soft din - Irn Bru!!
An' I'd take it gladly, provided it ain't diet! :)(When the day comes that I have to watch my figure, I'll let'em lock me away! :) BTW:
Do you know if there's an escape sequence for Smilies? :) = smiling face; esc-:) = :)? Or is Smiley mode completely on or completely off...? :)
进行 ...

Reply #1272
Pardon? :)  :pirate:

Reply #1273
Anyway this President is no improvement on the last one and not much cop at all.
“Load of old guff” from you, as usual. In any case, good to see you got over your hurt feelings and are posting again.

Reply #1274
Pardon?
Code: [Select]
:)
  :pirate:
I know a way, but it's too verbose...
进行 ...