Skip to main content
Topic: The American 2016 Presidential Elections & The Ongoing American Saga (Read 347743 times)

Re: The American 2016 Presidential Elections & The Ongoing American Saga

Reply #1200
I saw a few images in tv with Hillary Clinton while I was having dinner. It was the Democratic convention I suppose.
The lady is a tramp, said Sinatra. The other is a trump.
I pronounce both the same way.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #1202
It is the same waffling guff every Presidential Election and when one finishes a term the millions who are not doing well will still be there and the big two will come out with the traditional stuff and all those emotional carnival orientated people at the 2 conventions maintain the same tradition. nothing changes. Obama came out with stuff that is  nothing and Clinton will do the same as the previous tenants of the White House. Many over there are fed up with the way things are and one cannot blame them. The so-called lesser of two evils, namely Clinton means sod all. She got big bucks from the corporate baron lot and will toady to them. Internationally she will be a groan but more important the millions of decent and badly done people in the ex-colonies will see no change and the folk at the top continue to get further away but still in control.

When the tens of millions who are suffering get attention that will be something instead of all the juvenile Convention posturing and child-like whooping up and so on. It looks pathetic and childish!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #1203
This Process is going to be quite a roller coaster methinks. As an outsider looking in, Hilary Clinton looks to be a much safer pair of hands than Trump. So in the interests of my own survival I favour Clinton.

In rthe meantime, here's a nice song for you Yanks

Reply #1204
As an outsider looking in, Hilary Clinton looks to be a much safer pair of hands than Trump
Crooked and inept politicians are to be preferred? :) Trump is a wild card, granted. But the world has become the equivalent of the the children's card game War — otherwise known as 52-pick up. (At least that's how I remember it…!)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #1205
As an outsider looking in, Hilary Clinton looks to be a much safer pair of hands than Trump
Crooked and inept politicians are to be preferred? :) Trump is a wild card, granted. But the world has become the equivalent of the the children's card game War — otherwise known as 52-pick up. (At least that's how I remember it…!)

Like I said, I am an insider looking in, not that that stops any of us offering a view on the matters in this forum, but the claims about Hilary Clinton smell like political spin to me rather than real substance. I can only really judge on the policies that I have heard expounded and what they actually say.

Clinton passes that test for me whereas Trump does not. He has said so many silly things that I cannot see him as a President who would do good by America or would do anything but debase America's reputation in the world.

Reply #1206
Crooked and inept politicians are to be preferred?  :)
Over one of the most intellectually dishonest and reckless people of our time? It'd certainly be possible. As it happens I think Hillary Clinton is neither much of a liar nor inept, but I'm not voting. :)

When you don't care about the truth you can't do anything but induce disaster, no matter how lofty your intentions.

Reply #1207
When you don't care about the truth you can't do anything but induce disaster, no matter how lofty your intentions.
And that, precisely, is the dilemma we Americans face in our upcoming presidential election: Both major candidates are -shall we say, "challenged"? :(
进行 ...

Reply #1208
Clinton is NOT a safer pair of hands whatsoever. She is a hawkish person and well in the corporate corner and she damn well lies when it suits. She lied over the email process by the piles and I remember when she flew to the civil war situation going on at the former Yugoslavia break-up. She yakked about being shot at on the plane landing in only to find out later it was not true. In earlier times wasn't there some financial hokery pokery over land deals or something like that? Has she stated what she will do with the 43 million on food stamps and suffering or the other vast numbers losing homes and wide poverty? nope. Many Americans will only vote for her because it is either her or Trump and shows how sick the political side is. So she is not universally popular just because Trump is about.

The whole thing has been corrupted for a while due to the money men and their string pulling and you cannot help but feel for the large numbers over there who feel so totally frustrated and deep down know that the economy, poor, global situations will be no better off when she gets into the oval office. Mrs con woman 2016.

Reply #1209
Could things be worse? :)
进行 ...

Reply #1210
Once again we seem to be agreement. It doesn't look like things are any better in the UK. Maybe Hillary is a conwoman, but Trump certainly is a conman. But we're just going around in circles here. We don't have the best choices of candidates, but who remembers actually having good candidates? (And I remember jackass UK PMs as well, Howie...:p ) Anybody that should be president know better than to take the job. So enough with running that point into the ground.

So onto something twenty percent more scandalous. :yes:

If anyone's offended by the nudity, I will need to ask you to stop being a prude at this time. Besides, the nipples are pixelated out as to offend sexless mama's boys and girls who remain emotional children. This photo, first published in the France's Max Magazine in Jan 1996, shows would-be First Lady Melania Trump embracing the other women from behind and was republished in the Aug 1 issues of the NY Post . The San Jose Mercury News brings up the interesting question of who leaked it to the Post?

The Post brings up the easy explanation first:

The simplest motive seems to have been to embarrass and shame Melania Trump, a political spouse who is clearly not comfortable in the political spotlight and who is already trying to live down the scandal of plagiarizing Michelle Obama for her speech at the Republican convention.

That would point at someone in league with Clinton. But that's too easy, isn't it? Did the Trump campaign itself leak the photo?

Gawker and the Huffington Post have some theories. A.M. Mitchell with the Huffington Post believes the publication of the photos was timed by Trump or his people to "plant a red herring into our political news cycle."

Mitchell drills down on the timing. The photos went online after the Republicans had a pretty disastrous convention the week before and after Hillary Clinton accepted the Democratic nomination on Thursday ... And after Trump this past week incited outrage over his various comments about NATO, Russian hackers sabotaging Clinton, Vladimir Putin and the Ukraine ... And after he launched his controversial and lacerating criticism of the Muslim-American parents of a slain army captain.

What's disturbing, Mitchell said, is that by publishing the photos, "Donald Trump and the Post are hanging Melania out to dry in a culture which is still, at its core, puritanical. ... They are counting on her being retributively shamed by liberals who are hungry to avenge sexist slights against Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton in order to gain what? A couple of points in the polls?"

She continues: "Donald Trump is complicit in allowing a publication which has endorsed him to victimize his own wife. If there is any story worth talking about here, that is it."

The hole in the theory is in last two paragraphs of Mitchell's theory, even if Mitchell thinks Trump would actually throw his wife under the bus like this. It does make a little sense that Trump would attempt to disrupt the stream of negative stories about him, however. Also, if it wasn't the Trump campaign, why would the ragsheet that first endorsed Trump publish it?
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #1211
Typical reaction there midnight trying to avoid the mess your political system is in - and trying to say we are as bad as what you have. Piffle and the usual US body-swerving. Your leaders stand up on vast platforms yakking on about the greatest country in the world, freedoms, rights and all the emotional ballyhoo which contradicts the hard facts of political life.. All the boasting, flag waving and those farces of would be political meetings? Ugh. If you lot reduced the silly boasting about the country it would be not quite so bad putting up with what is!

You folk grow up with all the nonsense and that razzmatazz but you do not really understand how silly and emotionally childish it all looks from outside the country. And even more so the hypocrisy going inside for millions of loyal Americans make it even seem worse! You need a revolution over there but this time not by the wealthy as before.

Reply #1212
And yet we remain among the most stable and prosperous nations that ever existed Howie. Oh, I know "millions" on foodstamps and all that blather. Of course there are. In a country of over 300,000,000 population, "millions" means nothing without other data. I believe there are "millions" of millionaires as well (not bothered to look that up for you, since it means nothing to an America-basher.)

We do get one mediocre to bad president after another. The fact that we not only survive, but thrive speaks to American strength and resilience as a people. The Republican party, and to some extent the Democratic party have made cartoons of themselves (my suspicion is the Dems only trail the Repubs by a couple years in this regard) , but your politics seems to have completely looney toons as well with Brexit, another looming Scottish referendum, etc.

But at least we have a sexy whodunit to solve in the meantime. So who leaked the naked. lesbian  photos of the would-be First Lady? The Clinton camp, or the Trump camp?
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”

Reply #1213
If only we had a reputable journalistic institution, like the Sun…eh, Howie? :) (Your wider democracy, and all that!)
进行 ...

Reply #1214
Clinton is NOT a safer pair of hands whatsoever.
That's not correct, Mr. Howie. Not at all.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/290217-scarborough-trump-asked-about-adviser-about-using-nuclear  Make sure to watch the video with Hayden.

Donald Trump repeatedly asked an unnamed foreign policy expert why the U.S. couldn’t use its nuclear weapons stockpile during a national security briefing earlier this year, MSNBC “Morning Joe” co-host Joe Scarborough said Wednesday.

Scarborough told the anecdote amid an interview with former CIA director Michael Hayden, who said he could not see himself voting for the “inconsistent” and “dangerous” GOP nominee. Asked if he was aware of anyone among his peers who was advising Trump, Hayden said “no one.”

Of course, the Trump campaign denied this, but observe his Politifact scorecard More than half his statements (56% to be exact) are either "Pants on Fire" or "False." Another 15% are "Mostly False." (Amazing that Trump supporters think Hillary is a liar. Trump is possibly the worst one in history.)

Okay, so he lies. There is a chance his denial was the truth. However:

He has openly suggested that major powers such as Japan, South Korea and Saudi Arabia obtain nuclear weapons, in what experts say could lead to a dramatic proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. Trump later appeared to walk the statement back, though his position has been hard to pin down.

Separately, the GOP nominee has refused to rule out using nuclear weapons in Europe or against extremists such as the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

Yes, Trump is far more dangerous than Clinton. Whatever any American does in his or her life, don't fucking vote for Trump.

Reply #1215
Fortunate language towards the end there unfortunately midnight. However I stand by what I said about Clinton and the long and deep problems in the country like the numbers of poor on stamps unemployment, economy will see no dashed difference with her at all. On the global side she will be hawkish and can only stretch to her being I suppose the usual lesser of two evils stance. Indeed I would alomost bet the 43 million food stamps folk will still be there after her and all the other ills; She wasn't that brilliant on foreign affairs and she has been a liar; Even routines where she was definite on the email passing thing turned out to be a lie. There were other things like the incident I mentioned about the lies about her plane being in danger over in the former Yugoslavia civil war situation and they are not isolated.

Unfortunately for so many over there my assertions on "no change" for millions of America will be proved true and many Americans of sound mind and thinking don't like her at all so he only looks good against the mental monster Trump.; What a damnable political situation you folk are being left in time after time and even more so today - Trump and Clinton? Sad really.

Reply #1216
Fortunate language towards the end there unfortunately midnight.
Quite so. It wasn't strong enough. No American President nor Russian (or Soviet era leadership for that matter) had to ask three times why he couldn't start a nuclear war. The answer is obvious, global nuclear annihilation. Not that Trump would launch at Russia, but there seems to be lunatic wing of the GOP that fantasizes about "turning Iran into glass."Misstatements about being fire upon aren't even in the same league as Trump's lunacy and Hillary did not cause 43 million people (actually a small fraction of the US population, although it seems to like large number...) to be on foodstamps.

Reply #1217
Hey, Sang: Someone calling themself "leftylurker" posted a comment to an article about Trump's handling of presidential briefings
Can we just call a do-over this election? And have a Biden/Cruz joint presidency for two years to reset. Sweet god this is a horrifying mess.
Amen, eh?
I never thought I'd consider Joe Biden the grown-up in the room… :)
进行 ...

Reply #1218
Clinton does not impress me at all and she will get in due to the unbelievable candidate from the Republicans. It does show a great political weakness and time after time I have watched ordinary people being interviewed who are not very taken with Clinton at all but the other choice is a nightmare. As I said she will make no damn difference to all the people suffering in the country  and I could bet that at the end of her term all those weaknesses will still be there like trigger happy cops, millions on food stamps, millions in jail and losing homes. What will follow is another couple of carnivals passing for political get togethers and the same promises that mount to a hill of bean and all those suffering will see no damnable difference at all. Very frustrating as it just a continuous merry go-round unfortunately. and the same stuff every term as the people have been brained into it. Despairing in a ense and wish it was better.

Reply #1219
I have watched ordinary people being interviewed
There are a number of shows here that do "man in the street" interviews… They routinely show committed Democrats' ignorance. :)
We here are lucky: You show yours without any need of questioning!

About the number of people incarcerated: You prefer your criminals roaming the streets, where they're safe from the coppers, eh?
Being poor in Glasgow is like being rich in America… But that's not your problem; what interests you is other peoples' problems.
(But at least you got the right thread, this time! :) )
进行 ...

Reply #1220
Well we have a national minimum starting wage (not just like over your way), don't start paying taxes until you reach £11,000 (due to go up to £12,000), modern and cumfy non-private housing, Welfare State. The poor in the semi-democracy you live in would be envious of the less well off here. And all the improvements by a conservative government which is something impossible in your God forsaken place.

Reply #1221
Does Clint Eastwood suffers from Alzheimer?
I was hoping Republicans to defend the USA more than the Democrats, which are much more pro European lifestyle, but they clearly don't. Who needs enemies while supporting clowns such as Trump.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #1222
The Republicans can't even defend themselves from their own candidate right now, Belfrager.

Reply #1223
Does Clint Eastwood suffers from Alzheimer?
No. He suffers from sanity, a rare but unfortunately curable malady — both here and abroad. Of course, in Europe, long-established programs of inoculation have all but eradicated this problem!

BTW: At first, even I was a little miffed — that The Donald didn't endorse Paul Ryan (our current Speaker of the House)… Then, when he did, I couldn't help but chuckle! It's the same dance-steps Ryan used; except this time it's funny!
(There are legitimate reasons for Trump to oppose Ryan, as there were legitimate reasons for Ryan to oppose Trump…)
——————————————————————————————————————————————
p.s., Bel:
If you're referring to the imagined conversation between Clint and an undistinguished "journalist," you've presaged my point.
—————————————————————————————
"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right — here I am, stuck in the middle with you." A very clever tag line, eh? :)
进行 ...

Reply #1224
Here's the Dems' platform: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1joyvbJcI8
(Please watch to the end…)
进行 ...