Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 329830 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #100
In fact, justice hasn't been done. Michael Dunn was found guilty on 3 accounts of attempted murder........

Mr. Dunn is 47 years old. Each count of Attempted Second Degree Murder holds a 20 year minimum jail term. The 4th count he was found guilty of   --  Shooting into the Vehicle  --   holds a 15 year term.

Mr Dunn's age          =  47
3 x 20 years             =  60
1 x 15 years             =  15

Effectively a life sentence being Mr. Dunn will be under lock & key until the feisty old age of 122*.

Even though the jury was hung -- Prosecution was unable to prove it's case beyond a reasonable doubt  --  on the First Degree Murder charge, Mr Dunn is subject to retrial on that charge, but in light of the other conviction's combined terms & Mr. Dunn's age, the odds are against retrial.

* The oldest person ever from the United States was Sarah Knauss, who died on December 30, 1999, at age 119 years 97 days.

He will take his last breaths behind bars  ---  Justice served.

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #102
People like Dunn are ordinary citizens, right up to the moment they snap and fire into a car full of unarmed teenagers or something else pisses them like the line at Dominos being too long. That's why you're not allowed into certain places with a gun. What we're looking for is an intelligent middle ground between NRA absolutism and trying to make guns all but illegal.

Reply #103
What we're looking for is an intelligent middle ground between NRA absolutism and trying to make guns all but illegal.

Read the 2nd Amendment's 'Middle Ground Clause'

Can't find it?

Why for heaven's sake, how silly, they didn't include one.

Awwww, disappointing, isn't it?

"...Shall Not Be Infringed..." sounds awfully absolute to me.

Well, if you want to change the 'absolute' 2nd Amendment, then simply call for a Constitutional Convention, offer an intelligent - less absolute - 28th Amendment to replace the 2nd Amendment, repeal the 2nd Amendment, & then start the ratification process outlined in the Constitution of the United States of America. * See below for more detail  

* The Constitutional Amendment Process:

Now, until the proposed Amendment is passed or not ----- deal with what you have....an absolute 2nd Amendment

~~~ OR ~~~

You can permanently move to Europe.

In short, there is no middle ground........period

Reply #104
Interesting that a terrorist supporter like Smileyfaze is so chuffed we were thrown out because the money men took charge and place went downhill afterwards and became a land of nut jobs, school massacring and so on. By all means keep shooting 10,000 a year it's a right you know!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #105

Interesting that a terrorist supporter like Smileyfaze is so chuffed we were thrown out because the money men took charge and place went downhill afterwards and became a land of nut jobs, school massacring and so on. By all means keep shooting 10,000 a year it's a right you know!

That's a rather large accusation to make.
Care to elaborate?

Reply #106
I have proudly supported the Irish Republican Army Freedom Fighters (IRA) & Sinn Fein in the past, both financially & technically.

rj considers both to be Terrorist Organizations, whereas I differ with his opinion, & consider them Freedom Fighters & Patriots.

We all know there are extreme elements over there on both sides, that said I would have always sided with family & close friends there.

In 1776 rj would have considered Samuel Adams, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, Paul Revere, Nathan Hale, Ben Franklin, John Hancock, John Paul Jones, George Washington & his troops, & my all time favorite -- Francis (Swamp Fox) Marion -- terrorists one & all, whereas I consider them Patriots & Freedom Fighters.

I would have, if I lived in that time, openly called for the bloody heads & hearts of every representative of the Tyrannical British crown.

One man's freedom fighter, is another man's terrorist.

Reply #107
I thought this might be of interest in our nauseatingly unending discussion of guns.

Do You Support Banning The Possession Of Handguns?
ONION POLL • Opinion • Guns • ISSUE 50•07 • Feb 19, 2014

No. I need this handgun in case I have to shoot a person.

Certainly not the Beretta Px4 Storm Inox! Talk about smooth action.

Yes, but only if we can still make our hands into the shape of a gun and pretend to blow smoke from it after dishing out a great insult.

Not until I settle a few scores.

Only for criminals and men of poor repute.

You can’t possibly be suggesting I get rid of Peggy?!

I’m so good at fighting that it doesn’t really matter.

Reply #108
I would have, if I lived in that time, openly called for the bloody heads & hearts of every representative of the Tyrannical British crown.

Another Adam Lanza moment courtesy of El Smiley One.

Reply #109

Another Adam Lanza moment courtesy of El Smiley One.

A big, big difference, I would have been revered as a patriot, & I wouldn't have been alone by a long shot. Thousands would have stood by my side demanding the same. The British Monarchy was a hated lot in those Revolutionary times.

PS......the Inox is fun to play with, but the Px4 Storm Sub-Compact is my carry handgun of choice....

BTW...... Nice satire piece (poll) from the ONION

Reply #110
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #111
rj considers both to be Terrorist Organizations, whereas I differ with his opinion, & consider them Freedom Fighters & Patriots.

The IRA, in fact, has been one. I've personally let Howie know the multitude of crimes the British committed against the Irish, but the there's a big difference. The Continental Army met the Redcoats on the battlefield. The IRA bombed the subway, etc destroying the lives of innocent civilians. The difference between a freedom fighter and a terrorist is in their actions, and is not just a matter perspective.

Reply #112
The IRA bombed the subway, etc destroying the lives of innocent civilians.

Dresden Germany, Hiroshima, & Nagasaki Japan...........etc......etc.

Innocent civilians, or the enemy?

I say they were the enemy.

Paul Warfield Tibbets Jr. will always be considered an American hero in my books.

The IRA was at war against the Brittish invaders.  All's fair in love & war.

To the IRA their women breed tomorrow's invading soldiers.

To the IRA they were the enemy.

All the Brittish need do is cease & leave.

I feel no empathy for their loss.

The IRA were freedom fighters.

BTW......  check out the Gorilla Warfare tactics & less celebrated activities employed by the renowned Indian Fighter, Continental Army & South Carolina Militia Commander Francis Marion, the "Swamp Fox"  ---  American Patriot, Freedom Fighter, & Father of Modern Gorilla Warfare.

Extremely unconventional warfare against both Brittish Officers & troops --- not to mention the loyalist 'civilians'!

Bombing loyalists as they slept, how uncivilized.

In the end, as always, we will just end up agreeing to disagree.

More Guns, Less Crime............An Armed Society is a more Polite Society.

True gun control is knowing when to pull the trigger!

Reply #113
I still disagree with some the IRA's tactics, but all the British had to was leave Ireland alone in the first place.

Reply #114
......but all the British had to <do> was leave Ireland alone in the first place.

100% Bloody Correct......if they did there would have never been a need for an IRA..........period!

Reply #115
This continuation from the long and drawn out theme on Opera just shows how juvenile the menatality is across the pond .

Reply #116

This continuation from the long and drawn out theme on Opera just shows how juvenile the menatality is across the pond .

Complaining as you continually do effectuates the same outcome.

Reply #117

And this continuation of America bashing from across the pond has now migrated from D&D to DnD.

Reply #118
America bashing?
More like a spirited slap on the wrist with a wet lettuce.

Reply #119
The way the adult children go on about playing cowboys and kill each other could be a help in the long run. If immigration is halted and they keep gunning each other down in 5 figures annually should save some tax money. Yeah you kid minds keep going and use the 18th century as an excuse. And all from a nation that regards itself as modern and a shining light to the world. What a land of nut jobs and mass fruit cakes. Millions homeless and losing homes, tens of millions of poor, trillions on wanting to be the Imperial controller of the world and they go on about right to hold weapons. No wonder so many laugh  at the utter hypocrisy of the country. Having been brained into it for generations since young they practice a nefarious type of nationalism they have been told is patriotism. Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

In place of not being able to answer the point properly the terrorist supporter on this thread has to fall back on US bashing. Maybe if he lived in the real world and that is actually outside the land of the head bangers he would maybe be forced to realise the place is a, laughing stock of hypocrisy! Seeing you want so many gunners why not reduce the armed forces by ceasing to create wars as you would save a lot of money. Even more disbanding the police you pay so muc for too. How immature to use centuries ago for the right to shoot each too bits. With so much hypocrisy the power of the ne-fascist NRA and that late eejit actor who was leader for a while small wonder the word hypocrisy comes up. Bashing the USA is so easy and never lets one down!  :(

Reply #121
Bashing the USA is so easy and never lets one down!

Particularly for slow witted folk who have a one track mind.

American scientist, Edwin Hubble, discovers that the universe is expanding.
Rjhowie? "Fookin Americans don't know shite!"

Neil Armstrong first person to walk on the moon.

Henry Ford develops the assembly line.

Dr. Jonas Salk invents polio vaccine.
"Fookin Americans don't know shite!"

Assorted Americans invented the internet.

Miley Cyrus invents the twerk.

Few people know that Alex Salmond is actually an American.
"Fookin Americans finally got one right."

Reply #122
None of that changes the act that the ex-colonies have a terrible history of rights, freedoms and honesty. That much heralded Constitution is neatly ignored time after time Yet it blows around the world interfering everywhere causing trouble if their commercial string pullers don't get their way. The nation,s internal history is a shocking one too and still is. As for lists of achievements we could say the same about some dodgy places too like Germany during the 3rd Reich. Goodness they produced cheap holidays for low income families, a cheap car for people, great highways and so on.There cannot be a nation with so many spy agencies as the wonderful shining light to the world.

Not a good idea to try lists of achievements as this can be done this side of the water from the first embryo computer, medical discoveries, railways metalled roads and a whole lot more. Even WW2 was shortened when we solved Enigma Codes although Yanks think it was them. It is one thing having good attributes but when you see the other side it is horrific hence it is so easy to emphasise the terrible side with so much wrong chest beating around the world. Of course many don't want to have attention to this and think because they are okay then no problem folks! Tens of millions of Americans bang on about a different, belligerent and Imperial stance so as we are just supposed to take no note? ders and tens of millions of your associates produce another America which is not very enticing or to boast about. Trouble with intellectuals is is they want to have a sanitised reaction.

Of course I do feel for the decent who haven't a hope in Hell of changing a political system which is not there for them . So they sigh and try to exist without the permanent weight round the neck. How sad.A while ago Smileyfaze made a silly comment that if there were any probs it was our fault. Now there's a beaut that the place was so dumb it took so .long to be mature? Boy am I glad the way things went that we cannot be held resposible for the millions of Smileyfazes!  :D

Reply #123
[glow=black,2,300]Tens of thousands of Connecticut residents refuse to register guns under new law[/glow]

Quote from:       http://tinyurl.com/ketcobu  

On Jan. 1, 2014, tens of thousands of defiant gun owners seemingly made the choice not to register their semi-automatic rifles with the state of Connecticut as required by a hastily-passed gun control law. By possessing unregistered so-called “assault rifles,” they all technically became guilty of committing Class D felonies overnight.

Police had received 47,916 applications for “assault weapons certificates” and 21,000 incomplete applications as of Dec. 31, Lt. Paul Vance told The Courant.

At roughly 50,000 applications, officials estimate that as little as 15 percent of the covered semi-automatic rifles have actually been registered with the state. “No one has anything close to definitive figures, but the most conservative estimates place the number of unregistered assault weapons well above 50,000, and perhaps as high as 350,000,” the report states.

Needless to say, officials and some lawmakers are stunned.

Contunued ...... read on from the above title link

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqbB67N-YB0[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaP6LcXPdxg[/VIDEO]

[glow=black,2,300]
Strength in numbers ........... en masse acts of civil disobedience!!!

Let 'em come & get 'em!
[/glow]

Its the Govt. of Connecticut's move -- the ball is in their court.

Many Police organizations State wide have already put the State on notice they will not enforce this law.

They cite that they swore an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States, & not any local law in conflict with the US Constitution.

As the law is interpreted, there will be no amnesty.

The 100,000 +/- Civilly Disobedient Citizens of Ct. are past the point of no return.

What do you think?

Reply #124
What do I think? - I think it's all rather hysterical.

But coming to the old, old joke about the "Right to Bare Arms", I note that progress has, indeed been made by the Bare Arms Movement

Right to Bare Arms

Unfortunately this means that we can all look forward to even more smelly armpits. Clearly regulation is the right way forward, criminals should only be allowed to have bare wrists, for example, and repeat criminals should loose the right to bare arms entirely, and ......

Naturally the State should issue masks for those badly affected.

Of course, some people will refuse to register their arms.

But that's the US of A.