Skip to main content
Topic: v166 bugs (Read 2268 times)

v166 bugs

on x64 (win 7), when removing a bookmark from the list of saved ones, Otter simply freezes and has to be forcefully killed
bookmark doesn't get removed

also, often otter doesn't apply "set zoom" from preferences, as in I put it on 126%, but randomly
when new tab button is pressed, or when toolbar buttons are added/removed (customization)
the zoom level goes back to 100%

also if you go to yahoo images and choose any from gallery, for some reason Otter doesn't
show preview in "slide mode" (when chosen), tho this could be more of javascript or qtweb related

Re: v166 bugs

Reply #1
@exley, I believe that you have trouble when trying to remove Start Page folder from bookmarks, right?

Any special conditions where that initial zoom is broken?

In case of Yahoo you can try masking as Chrome, maybe that will help, since usually such stuff happens due to bogus scripts that check User Agent instead of detect features.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
not start page, but already bookmarked page
doesn't matter if its done via right click or via button DEL

no sorry its random for zoom

also masking as chrome doesn't help for yahoo images

also there is a bug when you STOP loading a page
then hit RELOAD button, nothing happens

btw, is it possible for you to add a "object/control" that like in opera would show
the value of current zoom level ?
so it can be attached on toolbars ?

Reply #3
@exley:
@bookmarks: I see, we have reproduced that only with Start Page before, perhaps some screenshot of Bookmarks Manager with offending bookmark being selected could help (it can show nesting level and some other subtle details), you can send it to me via Private Message too.

@zoom, I see, it's for tabs opened via New Tab action or middle button clicks on links? Or really completely random? Finding any pattern could help.

@yahoo, then we can indeed have case of some scripting issue (or something else, just coincidental).

@reload, I think that I know what issue is that, it's after following anchor inside page?

@control, I think that you are talking about something like Configuration Widget added recently by Chocimier, but it seems to have some issues with Zoom or maybe some more generic issue with applying value, I'll try to investigate it.

BTW, since you are active then perhaps would you like to help us with creating some sort of Quality Assurance group?
When stuff will settle down again (around April) then I would provide some extra testing binaries for those who would like to help with ironing out such issues.

Reply #4
wow, i just encountered bunch of minor bugs
auff

but problem is they are so random, it cannot be reproduced ...

- now when i ran Otter (for 1st time), entered to test your bookmark theory, yahoo.com
the bookmark button was disabled completely even if page was loaded
then it got enabled only when I pressed New Tab button

- also bookmark "deletion" didn't crash anything, could well possibly be tied to webpage type ?

- then to reproduce reload bug, now it worked ok... on same pages that didn't work before
and suddenly Otter crashed for no reason
(i'll write the log down)

- then to reproduce zoom bug,
a) it resets it self when using wheel click for "open in new tab"

b) at the same time zoom slider/zooming is doing its work as does tab switching
if you hold right click and use wheel up/down, so you have 2 "jobs" working at same time, this could be another
conflict ... who knows

- the yahoo images problem, is "fixed" if user does refresh on page, then the image appears

-------
as for your proposal, I can only do random testing of Otter
I know nothing about any coding ...

----

crash log:

Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   otter-browser.exe
  Application Version:   0.9.1.1
  Application Timestamp:   58c04cbe
  Fault Module Name:   ucrtbase.DLL
  Fault Module Version:   10.0.10240.16384
  Fault Module Timestamp:   559f3851
  Exception Code:   40000015
  Exception Offset:   0000000000065a5f
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:   1050
  Additional Information 1:   1671
  Additional Information 2:   1671de3db64a8169a7702c014a1f941b
  Additional Information 3:   87d8
  Additional Information 4:   87d8008545a236fb4e2dc19b70b70f47

Reply #5
@exley, BTW, which version are you using?
Since that appears to be something old:
Application Version:   0.9.1.1

Reply #6
Otter 0.9.91 - weekly 166
Webkit Backend 602.1

seems latest on your webpage :P

Reply #7
Just another to throw in here, I've only just noticed it, but it may well be long-standing.
Although my default search engine is set to Google in the preferences, on the start page it is still Duck Duck Go, and if I try to change it with the drop down menu there, Otter immediately just shuts down!
Running on Windows XP SP3.
 :)

Reply #8
@exley, OK, that version number present by that output is misleading.
BTW, that sort of crash log is close to useless anyway, we need proper backtraces to identify crash source.

could well possibly be tied to webpage type ?
Nope, but it may depend on bookmark type, deletion of folder might produce different results that deletion of simple URL or separator.

- then to reproduce zoom bug,
a) it resets it self when using wheel click for "open in new tab"
So it's opening links in background using middle button then? That could make sense.

as for your proposal, I can only do random testing of Otter
I know nothing about any coding ...
You don't have to, it's all about testing by end user. ;-)

@DaveH, hopefully it's reproducible under Windows 10, as testing it on XP machine might take much longer. ;-)

Reply #9
well unless otter can dump crash logs for itself
dunno how to trace anything when its random

Reply #11
@DaveH, hopefully it's reproducible under Windows 10, as testing it on XP machine might take much longer. ;-)
The crash when changing the search engine on the start page seems to have been fixed in 167!
 :cheers:
Liking the new look icons too BTW!
 :up:

Reply #12
@Freeman, for some reason they fail to display new icons, so I've skipped them this time since it doesn't make sense to push something without icons...

And now I know why it failed, I should try harder yesterday, it was trivial issue. :-/