Skip to main content
Topic: bugs (Read 96899 times)

Re: bugs

Reply #275
@py-thon, could you please  check it using Qt SDK binaries for qt.io instead of system ones?

@Kirilo, does it happen when viewing that image directly?
I had only issues when right clicking on it while it was embedded, not when viewed directly.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #276

@Kirilo, does it happen when viewing that image directly?
I had only issues when right clicking on it while it was embedded, not when viewed directly.

Also for me a direct link works without problems. The start page works, too, as I said.

Reply #277
@Kirilo, can you reproduce that using this?
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/test-qtwebkit

I've tried to check what is going on using callgrind but QtWebKit seems to crash when using it for some reason. :-/

Reply #278

@Kirilo, can you reproduce that using this?
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/test-qtwebkit

I tried to compile, but make failed:

/usr/bin/uic MainWindow.ui -o ui_MainWindow.h
g++ -c -pipe -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -g -fvar-tracking-assignments -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_WEBKIT_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/QtCore -I/usr/include/QtGui -I/usr/include/QtWebKit -I/usr/include -I. -I. -o main.o main.cpp
In file included from main.cpp:20:0:
MainWindow.h:24:33: schwerwiegender Fehler [fatal error]: QtWidgets/QMainWindow: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden [file or directory not found]
#include <QtWidgets/QMainWindow>

Reply #279
@Kirilo, it appears that Qt4 got picked up instead of Qt5.
I would suggest using absolute path to qmake from Qt5.

Reply #280
OK, that worked.

With the test kit, imgur makes cpu usage go up to 22% in the beginning, but it drops and the program is usable.
With Otter+imgur, the cpu goes up to 25% leaving Otter unresponsive - not totally frozen, but so slow that I have to close it in order to do  anything.

Reply #281
@ Emdek:
Qt SDK is far too big to download and compile. And even if I would I wouldn't know whether the problem still existed because of some problem with Qt as such or because of my making some mistake compiling (so far I never succeeded when trying to compile anything).
But by now I am sure that the problem is located in Qt5. Qupzilla recently changed to Qt5 and now it is unusable (same problem as Otter). When trying to load www.qupzilla.com with Qupzilla I get "Network access is disabled." whereas Opera loads the same page just fine.

Reply #282
@Kirilo, I guess that it is some issue with JS on that specific page (I've heard that this service has some some security hole or something like that that allows to do some nasty stuff using JS, but that might be just a rumor) which somehow gets amplified due to triggering some action handled internally in our code.

@py-thon, I meant binary version, not compiling Qt from sources. ;-)
Sometimes that version behaves more stable that one provided by distribution (as they sometimes use some extra patches or non standard compile time options)...

Reply #283
@Emdek
I am afraid that's not possible. I tried but my connection currently is too unstable and qt.io doesn't support to continue downloads after reestablishing the connection.
I am far from being a programmer but the problem could be based on qt's checking the physical state of the device http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qnetworkaccessmanager.html#networkAccessible-prop and getting the wrong value because it doesn't cooperate with usb-modeswitch (I am using a UMTS-modem).

Reply #284
@py-thon, it could be possible, I guess that it would be worth to try it, it should be enough to add one line here:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/blob/master/src/modules/backends/web/qtwebkit/QtWebKitNetworkManager.cpp#L90
Code: [Select]
setNetworkAccessible(QNetworkAccessManager::Accessible);

And then recompile against Qt version from repository.

Reply #285
i must say after some time of being away on purpose
i hoped that otter will finally "settle down"

yesterday downloading newest build, all i got is even more broken build that was 2 months ago

these are fast observations:
- again multi file select aint working
- mouse buttons completely broken and un-editable in options
- if image filename is too long otter can't save it with proper name but adds DOT "." after certain char lenghth
- back button very broken
- when alot of tabs oppened, the X button wanishes, so unless user knows ctrl+w, you're screwed

Reply #286
@Emdek
Sorry, but apart from adding the line I have no idea what to do. I will just wait for Otter to work maybe some day and meanwhile look for other browsers as Opera gets more and more difficult to use with modern websites.

Reply #287
again multi file select aint working

This appears to be upstream issue in QtWebKit, as it works randomly and in theory we had implemented all required stuff to make it work as intended.
mouse buttons completely broken and un-editable in options

What exactly doesn't work for you?
Note that this is weekly, so it can be unstable and we are just after transitioning to new mouse gestures system (most regressions should be fixes as of #98).
Mouse profile management is new tool and is not finished yet.
if image filename is too long otter can't save it with proper name but adds DOT "." after certain char lenghth

Could you please provide some link where it can be reproduced for testing purposes?
back button very broken

Details, please.
when alot of tabs oppened, the X button wanishes, so unless user knows ctrl+w, you're screwed

This is intended behavior, just like in Opera, when there is not enough space to show it then it is not shown for other tabs, just current one.
You can also use action from File menu, Shift + left mouse button click, middle button click or add custom shortcut or mouse gesture.

@py-thon, after that you need to follow instructions from INSTALL.

I'm also not happy about current situation with QtWebKit being dropped (well, almost, being unmaintained and not supported by usptream, with no binaries anymore, is just like dropping it off) and QtWebEngine being not usable yet (will be almost usable with Qt 5.6 which gets delayed and delayed again), but for now we can only wait for upstream to do their job...

Reply #288

again multi file select aint working

This appears to be upstream issue in QtWebKit, as it works randomly and in theory we had implemented all required stuff to make it work as intended.

well try imagebam it doesn't work

-
mouse works good again in this last fork
-
back button very broken

Details, please.

well on some sites if you follow on same tab more links
pressing back doesn't go more in past than 1 link, or even just returns to current page

-
heres another annoyance
otter can't open ftp folders

Reply #289
well on some sites if you follow on same tab more links
pressing back doesn't go more in past than 1 link, or even just returns to current page

So these "some sites", they work in e.g. Firefox?

Reply #290
well try imagebam it doesn't work

Yes, I remember this site.
And it works fine for me under Linux, so it might be yet another Windows specific issue of QtWebKit...
Note that as soon as there will be Qt 5.6 beta I'll update QtWebEngine backend against it and this time it will be almost usable for daily browsing (there is still some missing stuff but at least most of basic features finally made it).

Do you have the same issue with test-qtwebkit.exe (it's bundled)?

otter can't open ftp folders

Yet another issue that doesn't exists in QtWebEngine. ;-)

Reply #291
After the update of KDE to Plasma 5.5.1, Frameworks 5.17 and KDE 15.12 (but with Qt staying 5.5.1) I have now encountered a very nasty behavior with build #102: Closing or opening a tab crashes Otter...

Here ist the output of gdb, but it is no debug build, so I have to rebuild it first, but maybe it alerady helps:

http://www.cyrilbrosch.net/wb/media/otter-gdb

Edit:

I now know how to reproduce it: Every time the speed dial is shown (either by opening a new empty tab or by closing the last open tab) Otter crashes, other tab-related actions work well.

I also made a new build with debug enabled. Here is what QrCreator told me aboutit:

http://www.cyrilbrosch.net/wb/media/otter-qtcreator

On my other system (same software, other hardware) Otter works just fine.

Reply #292
@Kirilo, from these backtraces it looks like some issue in Qt or maybe style used by KDE5 (well, technically there is no KDE5 but I'll keep it calling the right way).
You can try two options:
1. try to set different style in Preferences / Advanced / Appearance;
2. disable start page for now.

Another possibility might be some settings of KWin, as it seems to crash at QRasterPaintEngine.
I'm not sure how does it look like in KDE5 but you could set Qt graphics system in System Settings (it might be set to raster now, try native), this is how it looks in KDE4:

Reply #293
@Emdek

Thanks, changing the style from Breeze to Oxygen prevents the crashes. I'll test from time to time whether it remains with upcoming releases.
The Qt setting you mention is absent from KDE5, BTW.

Reply #294
@Kirilo, thanks for testing, I guess that it could be a good idea to ask authors of that theme if that issue will be confirmed on some other system.
It might be something wrong with your driver (which one are you using?) or perhaps something wrong with installed packages for Qt or that style.
Anyway, I wonder what exactly triggers that, then I could try to create standalone test case, if it will be needed.

Reply #295
I am not sure if this is an Otter bug, or somewhere upstream, but it seems that the JS engine used have memory holes... i.e. the longer multiples pages using JS is open, e.g. gmail, facebook, linkedin (this does not occur for normal html pages), the memory usage of Otter just seems to grow and grow until it uses all RAM available (running Debian stable 64 bit, 4GB RAM, with Otter 0.0.08-dev100 installed from .deb package) and the whole X-window system become unusable (I need to kill otter from CLI).

Reply #296
@Chavoux, it's some issue in QtWebKit, which Qt version are you using?
Perhaps it was fixed in newer version.

Reply #298
@ovas, it seems to be some "security feature" on that page or some bug in JS, if you disable it (for example using F12 menu or setting it for that host in Website Preferences) then it works as expected.