Skip to main content
Topic: "Scientists Say" blather (Read 81993 times)

Re: "Scientists Say" blather

Reply #125

That's fundamental and maybe what really matters.  :)
Spoken like a true Marxist! :) Excuse me: Neo-Marxist…

:lol:
Well noticed Oakdale but no, not at all... You're committing an error by thinking that social analysis is an exclusive Marxist thing. Marx come out with a specific theory that is not crap but it lacks to understand the nature of Man. I'm no Marxist at all, very much the contrary.

You can call me an Integralist if you like. One of the last ones...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #126
Bel, you must understand that I am, as an American, committed to disestablishmentarianism? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #127
Bel, you must understand that I am, as an American, committed to disestablishmentarianism?  :)

I think disestablishmentarianism to be a very good thing but it has nothing to do with being American. You're just being obtuse at your crusade against climate changing evidence. I could even say that, in fact, you've been the voice of establishment.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #128
I don't know about Oakdale-- he runs his own show after all-- but once again, I have to say I don't doubt climate change happens. It does. What I DO doubt is the extent some people think men have to do with it.

Do you REALLY think we can change things drastically over the entire Earth's climate by switching to wind-power? Are you seriously that deluded that you can imagine that a solar-farm can change things enough to matter? What have you been smoking?
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #129
Do you REALLY think we can change things drastically over the entire Earth's climate by switching to wind-power?

I REALLY think that if we change the principles that have been directing our actions, that's the only way to combat problems caused by human action.

I don't realize why you have so many doubts about it. Do you have any doubt that is better to produce the same amount of energy by using wind or solar systems than by burning coal? that is better to use renewable sources of energy than limited ones? that is better to use clean, non polluting methods than keep using heavy polluting ones?

I tell you why I'm sure that our actions will contribute decisively for changing.  Because our actions already made Europe to change at an increasingly fast speed, that's why. There are winds of change my friend, you can't fight against.

You'll change too.

A matter of attitude.

Reply #130
You'll change too.

We'll all change.
==============
"Don't you ever laugh as the hearse goes by,
For you may be the next one to die.
They wrap you up in a big white sheet
From your head down to your feet.
They put you in a big black box
And cover you up with dirt and rocks.
All goes well for about a week,
Until your coffin begins to leak.
The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
The worms play pinochle on your scalp,
They eat your eyes, they eat your nose,
They eat the jelly between your toes.
A big green worm with rolling eyes
Crawls in your stomach and out your sides.
Your stomach turns a slimy green,
And pus pours out like whipping cream.
You'll spread it on a slice of bread,
And this is what you eat when you are dead."

Reply #131

I don't know about Oakdale-- he runs his own show after all-- but once again, I have to say I don't doubt climate change happens. It does. What I DO doubt is the extent some people think men have to do with it.

Do you REALLY think we can change things drastically over the entire Earth's climate by switching to wind-power? Are you seriously that deluded that you can imagine that a solar-farm can change things enough to matter? What have you been smoking?

Your two paragraphs are distinct statements. The first is something like, "Did I do it? I doubt I did." The second is like, "Oops, what I just did! Well, too late now."

In the latter case, you ARE saying that human activity has contributed to climate change to a significant extent, but in the former case you are denying it..

Reply #132
ersi, it has somehow failed to register with you — that "climate change" (as you'd use the term) has failed to be substantiated…
进行 ...

Reply #133
It has somehow failed to register with you that I never ever use the term, except when you use it. I disagree that it has failed to be substantiated. As far as I know, such a thing never existed in scientific terms, so there's nothing to substantiate or fail to be substantiated. Climate change only exists in political terms, so every time you use the term, I immediately know where your interest lies. You have no interest in science.

The science is about ecology, things like industrial pollution, acid rains, ozone depletion, greenhouse effect. I know you will never address this topic.

Reply #134
It has somehow failed to register with you that I never ever use the term, except when you use it

I do. Simply because it's the term that people all over Europe understands it's meaning and it's general assumptions. Climate changing.
If some native American Big Foot doesn't understands it, it's not my problem.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #135
The science is about ecology […]
ersi, "ecology" is as much a science as phrenology or economics… (Are there any dinosaur ecologists? :) )
进行 ...

Reply #136

If some native American Big Foot doesn't understands it, it's not my problem.

I simply have a longer memory and I remember how things used to be named. When there are options between names, I pick the more accurate one.

The science is about ecology […]
ersi, "ecology" is as much a science as phrenology or economics… (Are there any dinosaur ecologists? :) )

Heh. If it's not a science, then all your whining about it having been failed to be substantiated is total bunkum.

Anyway, economics is a science on this continent over here and so is ecology. Both are taught in universities. Wikipedia, "Environmental science is an interdisciplinary academic field that integrates physical, biological and information sciences (including but not limited to ecology, biology, physics, chemistry, zoology, mineralogy, oceanology, limnology, soil science, geology, atmospheric science, and geodesy) to the study of the environment, and the solution of environmental problems."

Reply #137
Heh. If it's not a science, then all your whining about it having been failed to be substantiated is total bunkum.

The most simple deductive reasoning will never work with our American friend. Despite he considering himself an "expert" at logics...

Well...he does the best he can for defending the indefensible.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #138
The most simple deductive reasoning will never work with our American friend.
A valid deductive argument does ensure its conclusion… Provided its premises are correct.
You and ersi seem always to leave that part out! (I wonder why? :) ) Supporting your premises is often hard work!
进行 ...

Reply #139

The most simple deductive reasoning will never work with our American friend.
A valid deductive argument does ensure its conclusion… Provided its premises are correct.
You and ersi seem always to leave that part out! (I wonder why? :) ) Supporting your premises is often hard work!

Whereas you don't even get to the point where you would have any sort of premises. Ecology is a science - and isn't - precisely as your mood happens to be. For you even having a premise is so hard that you simply cannot get around to it.

Reply #141
Just to get back to the topic for a bit: More than 50% of a goodly sample of psychology studies published in prestigious journals fail honest replication… (source) You can see the article's title -and the point made- in the URL I've posted.

Perhaps, we need to look a little more closely and critically at what we term "science"? :)
进行 ...

Reply #142
Perhaps, we need to look a little more closely and critically at what we term "science"?  :)

Perhaps you are playing Don Quixote...
Funny, usually I'm the one accused of doing it.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #145
Few horses, plenty of horse's asses.

Reply #146
As a compensation, candidates for Rocinante abounds.
Yourself, for instance? :)
(I'd thought you were trying to learn English… It seems, lately, that you're trying to un-learn what you once knew. Is that part of your "back to Nature" compulsion? :) )
进行 ...

Reply #147
(I'd thought you were trying to learn English… It seems, lately, that you're trying to un-learn what you once knew. Is that part of your "back to Nature" compulsion?  :)  )

Exactly.  Since your language entered already into a state of putrefaction, I'm using it as a sort of logorrhoea's cow shit.
Simply a part of my signature.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #148
But let us not neglect the topic and my particular interest in one aspect of it: The ever-increasing numbers of peer-reviewed papers in respected journals that can't be replicated…The latest batch!
(At least, ersi will be pleased! :) )
进行 ...

Reply #149
If this was news to you, it tells something about your ability to assess scientific value.