Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in China? (Read 89912 times)

Re: What's Going on in China?

Reply #226
I'm sure that's useful to many people, but I meant something more like this. :P

The EU launched new probes today (12 February) into imports of Chinese steel, warning it would not allow “unfair competition” to threaten Europe’s industry already crumbling under a flood of cheap imports.

European steelmakers are reeling from a global glut and last week Luxembourg-based world leader ArcelorMittal blamed China for a colossal $8-billion (€7.1 billion) loss in 2015 while thousands of jobs are being cut.

“We cannot allow unfair competition from artificially cheap imports to threaten our industry. I am determined to use all means possible to ensure that our trading partners play by the rules,” EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmström said in a statement.

Reply #228
Yes, that's probably what I recall. :P

Reply #229
What was going on in China a long time ago?
==========
Back in 2004, archaeologists excavated two pits in northern China that looked a lot like homebrewing operations. Constructed between 3400 and 2900 B.C. by the Yangshao culture, each pit contained the remnants of a stove and assorted funnels, pots and amphorae.

Now, Jiajing Wang of Stanford University and colleagues report that the pottery shards contain residue and other evidence of starches, chemicals and plant minerals from specific fermented grains. The ancient beer recipe included broomcorn millet, barley, Job’s tears and tubers — that probably gave the beer a sweet flavor, the team writes May 23 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The findings predate the earliest evidence of barley in China by around 1,000 years. Beer may have been consumed at social gatherings, and brewing, not agriculture, spurred the introduction of barley to China, the researchers argue.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/science-ticker/evidence-5000-year-old-beer-recipe-found-china

Reply #231
I missed me, too, but my wife found me in the nick of time!

Reply #232
Hm, I see. Gotta replace those shirts and pants.

Reply #234
I like Chinese to eat dogs. Why not.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #236
I'm with the Swiss. It's no more or less cruel than eating just about any other kind of mammal.

PS I almost never eat mammal, but every so often I'll go for some liver or udder or something. The parts most so-called meat eaters think are icky. Tongue is also very good, and I wish bones were easier to get to use to make pea soup and such. But the only meat I eat semi-regularly is fish, mostly stuff like herring (usually maatjes, sometimes in vinegar) and smoked mackerel.

Reply #237
I like Chinese to eat dogs. Why not.

The neo-traditionalists (The Lychee and Dog Meat Festival is only a few years old) don't stand a chance against the onslaught of the middle class. You are not truly middle class until you have a pet, and then you can't stand the thought of someone eyeing your baby for its nutritional value.

Thousands have gathered in this Guangxi city for the annual event, but millions of angry Chinese have petitioned or campaigned have it ended. Angry animal lovers are an unstoppable force, witness the dead gorilla a few weeks ago, and they are richer and better connected than these relatively poor culinary dog lovers in the outskirts of the country. In its current form this festival is doomed. I suspect it will become a Lychee and Donkey Meat Festival soon. Donkey is a common dog substitute. More meat, less fuss.

“Living in a high-rise requires a special type of behavior,” one of the leads tells Laing late in High-Rise. “Quiescent. Restrained. It helps if you’re slightly mad.” That last bit seems like a massive understatement, given how his building’s inhabitants descend into rabid chaos throughout the film. “Quiescent and restrained” also seems like an understatement when describing Laing. Hiddleston narrates the film in the third person, in Ballard’s prose: “As he sat on his balcony eating the dog, Dr. Robert Laing reflected on the unusual events that had taken place within this huge apartment building.” On the page, that removal from first person seems like natural storytelling. On the screen, with Hiddleston’s level, chilly voice speaking about Laing as if he were someone else entirely, it reads like the self-mythologizing of a sociopath. And that seems entirely intentional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYmY2tBYins 

Reply #239
Better yet, how about a nice meal of the noble cat.

Reply #241
New Singles Day (11/11), new record. Four times as much merchandise is shifted during Singles Day than during Black Friday.

Alibaba sells a record-breaking $17.8 billion on Singles Day

China's e-commerce giant Alibaba moved $17.8 billion in sales during its Singles Day sale on Friday, smashing its own records. 

The $17.8 billion (or 120.7 billion yuan) figured crushed Black Friday's $4.45 billion in e-commerce sales last year and Alibaba's own $14.3 billion record from 2015. 

Singles Day is China's biggest e-commerce day of the year, complete with a nationally televised party and concert. The day originated as an anti-Valentine's Day, encouraging single people in China to buy gifts for themselves. 

Happy Singles' Day 11/11 everyone! Shop early, shop often!

Singles Day: Alibaba closes in on record sales

As has now become tradition, Singles Day was kicked off with a televised gala event which this year included a performances by One Republic and appearances by basketball legend Kobe Bryant, English football legend David Beckham and singer-turned designer Victoria Beckham. But pop star Katy Perry, who had been scheduled to perform, withdrew citing a family emergency.

Analysts have predicted this year's event could see Alibaba rack up sales of $20bn despite a slowdown in China's economy, partly due to the event having a broader audience. "We're seeing an even bigger shift from offline shopping to online shopping," Kitty Fok, managing director of IDC China told the BBC.

"And there is also more of a focus on rural areas. People in the villages who could not do online shopping now have mobile phones and so can do that."

Reply #242
This should also be posted in the Good News thread…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #243
I have no words to comment such a Chinese imbecility and their self assumption as rats.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #244
"Speculation over North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's apparent weight gain has been a source of growing fascination in neighbouring China, where government censors have been blocking offending nicknames on social media.
The terms "Kim the Fat" - and variations, such as "Kim Fat III" or "Kim Fatty III" - have appeared on social media sites throughout the year, particularly on China's most popular platform, Sina Weibo.
But in response to unverified reports that North Korea had asked China to stamp out the abuse, Weibo users have been coming up with more creative names.
The latest to appear online - and it doesn't translate easily - is "Kim III half-moon". The "third" in the title refers to the fact that his late father and his revered grandfather were also called Kim."

Reply #245
"Called"? Kim is the family name. I don't know Korean, but the Chinese character for Kim is 金 or Jin, meaning "gold" (alternatively money), fitting name for that family. 

He's probably been the most ridiculed person on Chinese social media (if the authorities may try to put some brakes on now), though that was before Trump was elected. 

Reply #246
What's going on in China??
Death penalty, with public exhibition.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #247
Well Bel a bit like America where they can hang you, shoot you, gas you,. electrify you and a wee audience can sit an watch it. Disgusting. There were in hard fact still places doing traditional public executions in places before WW2.  :down:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #248
There were in hard fact still places doing traditional public executions in places before WW2.
Of course, "drawing and quartering" lasted a tad longer… (One of the reasons for our 8th Amendment, btw. We had had enough of British barbarism.)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #249
What's going on in China??
Death penalty, with public exhibition.

China doesn't do public executions. Quite the opposite, they do secret executions, which many think is worse. They did on the other hand have a crime TV program interviewing with those who were about to die. The outcry shut down that series though, years ago.

I used to watch the CCTV crime and finance channel. Some programs were similar to US fare like  America's Dumbest Criminals, except that the tone was not to laugh at the criminals. The programs were entertaining, educating and morally uplifting. You could for instance see a man stab a passing woman, and then you could rewind the criminal's past in the last half hour, going back to surveillance footage of the assailant drinking too much in a bar.  Riveting drama, coming soon to a country near you.