Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 330653 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #1450
Schools with armed teachers, what a great idea! :)
US schools might become the most secure worldwide.

I'm confident that the NRA will come up with more such bright ideas.

How about the passenger self-defence act, making flight within the USA or flight to and from the USA even more secure?
I'm sure it would become a great success even among European allies.

Unfortunately, the vid is in German but even so I hope that you'll get the message. :)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdB5YxxK3Lc[/video]

Reply #1451
Minds are so easily controlled over the pond so an elementary thing...... :D
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #1452
Schools with armed teachers, what a great idea!  :)
US schools might become the most secure worldwide.

I believe that 15 State Legislators have dropped the "Gun Free Zone" requirements in their States, & allow well trained & qualified Teachers/Administrators to carry loaded firearms while in the schools, & on school grounds, to protect their students, with almost that many voting to do the same next year.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Qyvowwk_Y[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m-kJe_cB-Q[/VIDEO]

In times of universal deceit, telling the honest truth is a revolutionary act.

Reply #1453
The pendulum is mightier than the sword.

Reply #1454
What a country and that idea of teachers having to maybe do that along with being trained to educate?? It is the worst nation on Earth for regular school shootings and massacres and all because the mental stuff is not limited it is a natural thing in the killing crime stats shows that well. Unfortunately the place has not properly grown up since it's corporate revolution in the 18th century or it's war also mentioned in the early 19th.

The regular school attacks will continue and gun ownership will continue to grow. Annual shootings in the general population in five figures will be standard as is the school disgrace. Neither Democrats or Republicans will change anything and people of a wide age continue to buy pistols, SLR's machine guns and so on. It is the most crassfully immature place when it comes to guns and the percentages will not alter a bit.  The Second Amendment stuff was for a historical period in the early days and the place has been allowed to become a corporate gun controlling fiasco.  There is no need for that "right" as there is a massive military to defend and equally a gun fanatical police service (although many cities have policemen that shouldn't be such at all).  The childish boasting of the right is immature and people brainwashed by the gun lobby and corporate politicians. People also boast about what they own and the numbers of guns increases all the time and does it "solve" things? no it damn well does not.

Reply #1455
I really find SmileyFaze comments funny, he pays taxes for the police but he wants civilians to act as cowboys.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #1456
I really find SmileyFaze comments funny, he pays taxes for the police but he wants civilians to act as cowboys.

Funny?? You find it funny that people, teachers who love the children they teach, wish to voluntarily step up to protect them, & a government that will stand aside, & see that these brave teachers have the opportunity to protect the lives they cherish......protect them from heinous criminals who have absolutely no respect for the law. I don't find that funny, I find that an example of unselfish love! 

Only an ignorant asshole would find that "Funny".........right Bel???

It's called Freedom, something those under the thumbs of their governments know nothing about, in places where the only rights they have are rights "granted" to them..........rights that can be removed at any time. Oh, & when these teachers do what they need & freely want to do.....learn how to protect & defend the children & people they love.......they are exercising their Liberty.

Yep, it seems Freedom & Liberty was born in the 18th Century.....& self-governance became a reality after the Declaration of Independence was signed & delivered to the People who are living it today.

Taxes, good taxes, are paid for excellent police forces........brave men & women..........defending America 365 days a year......24/7.

When a deranged coward enters a school, hell bent on killing murder, those police do so wish to be there to stop them......Unfortunately though the police can't be everywhere, & when they are needed immediately to save lives, most of the time they are only 10-15 minutes away.......too far, & just too late for most.

There isn't any one-size-fits-all solutions to all situations, but having someone there, fully trained, & armed might be the difference between life & death for people who desperately need their help.

American teachers are hoping to fill in those 10-15 minutes, & provide that desperately needed help.

It may not always be the absolute best solution to every situation, but it's better than words, soft tissue, & bone as the only defense.

Victoria Soto, sacrificed herself to save her first grade students by throwing her body in front of the gunman in Newtown, Connecticut, &  Aaron Feis, a football coach, died after putting himself between his students and the gunman recently in Florida.

Those my friends are true heroes!!!!!   

Not would be "Cowboys" like some assholes think.....right Bel???

American teachers are trying to make a difference, putting their lives at risk to save lives, & their governments are putting their trust in their citizens hands by encouraging the dismantling of "Gun Free Zones", & enabling their teachers to carry firearms in the schools to protect & defend until the police arrive, to assist or take over.

In times of universal deceit, telling the honest truth is a revolutionary act.

Reply #1457
You prevent shootings with... more shootings? You prevent it with police work, police paid by yourself.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #1459
Good point there Belfrager.

As for that nonsense from our American cracker. Wonderful police - eh? Time after time shooting unarmed people and so on. A while back i intimated a party that visited GB and Scotland in particular visiting the national police training centre. They were gob-smacked at the standard of training the intelligence of the trainees and so on. I also intimated a retired captain of a large US city (Philadelphia) who stated on television that he was flabbergasted at many who got to serve in city police forces in the USA. So for all the guff about the police the place still needs armies of civilians carrying everything from handguns to heavy army style shooters? The more guns that are encouraged to be bought only keeps the killing numbers high. On top of this all over the nutjobland are city police getting military vehicles and armed cars, etc. What a damn place to live in and the population includes 9 figures with guns too.

Such a wonderful place that although a million in the military and police everywhere with heavy weaponry and only short of damn tanks it is a wonderful Valhalla? Uggh. The place has learned little from the days of that Constitutional "right." Centuries have moved on  but the regular killing has not diminished and school killings are as regular as breakfast and continuous. When trump gives out the concern about mental issues it is not some terribly minor thing it is a NATIONAL wide mentality thi9ng with scores of millions wanting the right to carry guns and keep the shooting numbers up. For a so-called great country is a load of nonsense and gun mad. If you had to look after the mental cases in the US of A hospitals couldn't cope and you would have to shunt scores of millions of head bangers to another planet. Emotion of a juvenile nature is part of the physic state over there I am sad to say.

Reply #1460
Emotion of a juvenile nature is part of the physic[al] state over there I am sad to say.
Glad to help you there, RJ! :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #1461
I read that the American President that goes by the name of Trump wants to make a law to prevent selling a piece that turns semi automatic weapons into automatic.
So... massacres will be just in groups of three dead bodies, a group after the other.
Brilliant move indeed.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #1462
One can assume if Trump does anything, it's fucking stupid.

Tragic as the last two mass shootings are they were filled with red flags that should of been caught. Any rudimentary oversight could of stopped those shootings without any need to ban anything. Social media and purchasing records are easy things to flag and check.

You don't need to buy a bump stock to make an AR15 an automatic rifle. Need only modify the trigger assembly. I like that people don't know that.

Reply #1463
It does not mean a twopenny damn who is President as the craziness is there no matter WHO is in the White House and the present one is just inheriting a situation.

Neither is it going to change whether the inbuilt school massacres the high shooting because of that 2nd Amendment malarky. Why the he have a million military people and still have an out of date Constitution giving the right to bear arms??   It is the worst country for this terrible stuff because there is a built-in immaturity in the population in general. Is there a movement to change that Constitution? nope only to control the guns. Almost as many of them as people living in the place. It has become a built-in immaturity and it certainly makes the place stand out but for all the contradictory and utterly crazy attitude. Increasing military budgets city police forces getting military stuff from the Pentagon and so on yet still a right to bear arms. They boast about that right over there even though the hard practice of life is mental midget stuff and is not going to change. It is one subject that makes the country stand out away out in front.

Reply #1464
One of us had trouble keeping focus during that, post. Incidentally, commas are fun.

I did pull this out as your recent, somewhat original, addition to the norm.
...Is there a movement to change that Constitution? nope only to control the guns.

It's not possible. Useful oversight would be a start, right? There's a cart, there's a horse. What do you do?

And no. I'm not going to even start on any goddamned thing about that piece of paper.

Reply #1465
You don't need to buy a bump stock to make an AR15 an automatic rifle. Need only modify the trigger assembly. I like that people don't know that.
Glad you like me and all the civilized population of the world. Isn't time you start realizing the real problem instead answering with "modify the trigger assembly."?

Moving on from trigger's assembly to the main problem - culture. The reason the United States has turned from a place respected by the the rest of the world to a place that is a sad anecdote for everybody it's a cultural problem, not a problem of machine pieces.

Unfortunately, a particular part of Americans insists on keep committing suicide. Or homicide. It's the same thing.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #1466
Unfortunately millions of the lesser minds will desperately hang on to that "2." What makes it even more head shaking for the rest of the civilised world is the crazy answer to regulate school shootings is to arm the teachers. For heaven's sake! They just do not understand how it makes the country look for the rest of the world. Feel for the decent there but the mental midgets are in control and unfortunately influence and especially politicians.  :(

Reply #1467
There was a time when guns were safe, accidental discharge impossible!

Reply #1468
Is that one of those fake ads? In a way the fact that I can't tell says it all, I suppose.

Reply #1470
So, American gun paranoia is a result of advertising?
In part yes, because advertising is a showroom, a reflex of society.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #1471
The gun nuts are a bunch of emotional crackers and us the word 'freedom' like illiterates.

Now we get the idea of some teachers being trained to have a gun in the classroom? We have a country that comes out with all the boasting in the world about being a great democracy, principled and great. The head shaking thing is that statistics, social life and especially the gun fanaticism puts it way out of sensible country leagues.  Mental issues are not just some tiny passing medical matter they are vast and unfortunately even allowing for the decent people over there it is a wide built-in racial characteristic regarding guns and silly rights.

Reply #1472
Commercials are definitely part of it. As far as I know, no other country allows gun commercials and that's why gun-craze remains strictly within USA and cannot spread even to Canada. I have linked to a TV commercial here before, but googling around on the topic tells me that the commercials are not very widespread. For example, there's this news from 2013:
"Consistent with long-standing NBC policies, Comcast Spotlight has decided it will not accept new advertising for firearms or weapons moving forward," said spokesman Chris Ellis of Comcast's advertising sales division, Comcast Spotlight. Comcast has operations in 39 states and the District of Columbia.

Time Warner Cable announced in January — about a month after a gunman in Newtown, Conn., killed 27 people including 20 children — that it would no longer allow ads showing semiautomatic weapons and guns pointed at people, according to Multichannel News magazine.
Now, these are big, very big networks. They say they don't show gun commercials anymore. But it also means they did up to 2013. Then there's this:
Question: Why are there no gun commercials on TV? Are they banned?

Answer: There are.  You're probably just not watching a station that runs them.  Try watching Outdoor, A&E, or MSNBC Sports.
So there's no national or federal or legal ban, just self-moderation on the part of TV networks themselves.

Reply #1473
googling around on the topic tells me that the commercials are not very widespread.
What struck me most on American TV was all of the ads for medicine, oddly combined with how several ads promoted unhealthy behavior, for instance by saying that if you weren't obese you weren't a man. Not literally, but if you "eat like a man" for lunch every day, meaning something like a fried chicken sandwich that could feed even me for three days, you'll become obese in no time, even if you have the kind of super active physical job most people don't.

It was also amusing that Subway simultaneously promotes itself as the healthy alternative to the likes of McDonald's while also advertising how their footlong (30 cm) sandwiches can be stuffed with sausage and cheese. To be fair I do think you can eat much better at Subway, although they smell a lot better than they taste, but I thought that dichotomy in advertising was hilarious.

There was also a chain of gas stations advertising how American they were. It was pretty weird.

But anyway, no ads for guns.

PS I'm talking about 7-10 years ago. I haven't been to the US recently.

Reply #1474
I enjoy looking at old advertisements. It really doesn't matter the product, it's interesting to glimpse how views have changed.

As far as gun commercials they are rare indeed. I can recall a shotgun advertisement from a sponsor of the hunting program in question. Handguns and rifles aren't really directly marketed that way. Those commercials are for gun shows, "THIS WEEKEND ONLY AT THE MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM! (BLAH BLAH BLAH.)" Gun shows are the first things I'd like to see regulated to the point it's useless to have them. Right along with increasing the age limit for rifles of particular types to 21. It is dumb that it is harder to get alcohol than an assault rifle.

That being said, I don't believe commercials are the real problem. The media's 15 mins of fame and the soapbox social media provides the scum are much more detrimental. I also think jumping straight to banning weapons is self defeating. Mental illness is hard to diagnose and removing all chances for them to trip a warning makes it even harder while also completely taking any possible steam out of attempts to apply common sense regulations.