Skip to main content
Topic: Today's Good News (Read 156777 times)

Re: Today's Good News

Reply #300
Two young Americans disarm a man on a train in Europe. He claims that just because he had a Kalashnikov, he is unfairly labeled a  a terrorist.
He claims to be nothing more than a thief.

Reply #301
I think that what was done to that fanatic on the train was outstanding and those involved fully acknowledged including the 2 young Americans but can I remind there were four involved including a British pensioner. So there were 4 given medals by the President of France not two.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #303
If I had been there I would have given the fanatic a 'Glasgow kiss.'

Reply #304
 :jester:

Reply #306
The brighter folk know that is nothing to do with a Glasgow Kiss.

Reply #308
Jimbro's version may be more dangerous at that. Among certain-- Sicilian people, from what I understand-- the "kiss of death" may be the last endearment you ever get from a rival. After that, expect a tune to be played for you from the "Chicago Violin".

I looked up the "Glasgow Kiss" and--- it could explain a couple of things at that. Hmmmm--- missed your intended target and "Glasgow Kissed" a brick wall, did you? I'll bet that hurt a lot.

In the meantime, I've been put on alert to stay the hell out of Glasgow pubs if I ever chance to visit that city. My chances are probably better here in our finer--- and not so fine-- drinking establishments.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #309

Reply #310
Kissing a wall?? That would be laughed at.

No wonder the world finds Americans unintentionally funny. Many moons ago i said that I met a retired husband and wife from Philly on my way back on the train from DC to NYC and on my second visit two years later they asked me down for 2 days and I went. They asked daft questions like 'have you met The Queen' and I asked if they had met the President so they asked if that was a silly question. Then wondered how widespread colour television was in Gt. Britain. Now both had been journalists -one for a newspaper and the other the editor of the old Pennsylvania Railroad inhouse magazine. When you consider being from a middle class tradition and "educated" they were a bit short of common sense so you being from the same country mjsmsprt40 I make allowances for you. Well done mj you keep that tradition alive!

Reply #312
Catalonia will turn independent from Spain. :)

Nine centuries ago, as today, as forever, anything that turns Spain weaker is good news for us.
Beautiful, who follows next?  :lol:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #313
The total vote re Catalonia was interesting but more importantly the province is very important to Spain. A goodly sum goes to Madrid from it and if the place decided to ignore Spain what about the banks? Emotion is one thing but practicality is something else.

Reply #314
Having worked on a cooperative space program with Russia myself this is good news for me personally, to know that the cameradie which developed then is still there and thriving in spite of today's tension between the West and Russia.

Europe and Russia mission to assess Moon settlement[/ url]

Reply #315

Having worked on a cooperative space program with Russia myself this is good news for me personally, to know that the cameradie which developed then is still there and thriving in spite of today's tension between the West and Russia.

Europe and Russia mission to assess Moon settlement

How is this a good news for you personally? Are you planning to be among the first settlers?

Reply #316
How is this a good news for you personally? Are you planning to be among the first settlers?

Course not, the good news for him are that he was payed for working for the Russians. He calls it a "cooperative program".
A matter of attitude.

Reply #317
Forgive me, String, for butting in… I don't presume to speak for you but I think your point was clear, and cogent: It's good news for you, because people that actually do things -accomplish something- together do really matter. Not only their accomplishments remain — their insights about how people can relate to each other persist.
(Don't let that planting the American flag incident confuse you: The U.S. has always considered space, and the moon, to be like the open seas… :) )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #318
The space project I was involved with was part of the overarching ISS effort, so NASA was also invoked, so I was working with the US as well as well as other countries.

Yes I have personal interest but the real message for all is that the cooperation is still continuing. That must surely be good for all.

At the moment there seems to be a danger of a new Space Race. If it happened it would be very destructive, these projects being so expensive and so prone to duplication of technology and facilities.

Reply #319
Other than replacing your final "to" with a "too" — I have no argument with what you've said.

What worries me is the weaponization of space, by those who've lagged behind… This is an area where I really wish international agreements could be reached. (America's so-called "Star Wars" defense was always thought to be a knock-en-down before impact or detonation scheme… But the Chinese showed us a decade or so ago that critical orbital infrastructure needs to be hardened…) There are enough countries which have the capabilities -to create and use nuclear weapons or to utilize low earth orbit as a platform for various nefarious purposes!
I think the time for cooperation is nigh! :)
进行 ...

Reply #320

There are enough countries which have the capabilities -to create and use nuclear weapons or to utilize low earth orbit as a platform for various nefarious purposes!
I think the time for cooperation is nigh! :)

That's right. The United States should remain the only power with such capabilities. Others must cooperatively stay out of it.

What worries me is the same display of policing mindset all over again: When we do it, it's okay, when they do it, it's evil. Just like in the nuclear race - bombing Japan was good (because we did it), but e.g. Iran should have no chance of enriching plutonium or whatever, they deserve sanctions and embargos instead.

The space is already weaponised. You did it. There's nothing to worry about now except that you shouldn't have done it. Other powers who try to be mighty too, they are inevitably going to emulate your clearly set example. There's been nothing to fear but yourself all along.

Reply #321

Course not, the good news for him are that he was payed for working for the Russians. He calls it a "cooperative program".

I was not working for The Russians but ESA which means that for part of the time, Portugal, having become a member of ESA in Nov 2000, you, Belfgrager, were paying some of my wages.

Thank you  :devil:

Reply #322
@FTL too would work too!

Yes - we do need an international agreement to ban weapons in Space (naturally except for handguns!); There is more than enough litter up there without adding radioactive litter and debris from in-orbit launches.

Reply #323
I was not working for The Russians but ESA which means that for part of the time, Portugal, having become a member of ESA in Nov 2000, you, Belfgrager, were paying some of my wages.

Thank you   :devil:

:lol: yes, I know.

I don't mind doing it, I like to contribute to the European Space Agency. It's one of the only two things I think we, Europeans, should be united. The other being defending ourselves from the entire rest of the world.

By the way, the Chinese space program, unlike others, is considered a 100% military thing and top secret.

A matter of attitude.

Reply #324
we do need an international agreement to ban weapons in Space (naturally except for handguns!)
:)
But, seriously, in space everything is a weapon…
进行 ...