Skip to main content
Topic: Today's Good News (Read 156748 times)

Re: Today's Good News

Reply #276
Those unrelated laundry ball things do tell us that most people use far too much detergent.

Anyway, ultrasonic cleaning is not bullshit, nor is miniaturization. I'm inclined to somewhat plausible for this one.

Reply #281
Today's Good News

I've been posting too much today, I don't even know why... it was like some kind of itch, an allergic reaction...
Now, I'll stop. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #282
Scientific guff there jimbro about Pluto. It is a dead, cold and empty place of no use to anyone. Like a Glaswegian forced to live in Edinburgh.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #283

Scientific guff there jimbro about Pluto. It is a dead, cold and empty place of no use to anyone. Like a Glaswegian forced to live in Edinburgh.

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly found this scientific bloviation to be both beneficent, and magnanimous.  :sherlock:

In other good news, 3 more full working days until I am done with this current job.  :cheers:

Reply #284
He'd be happier looking at pictures of King William 3rd of Orange wearing panties.

Reply #285
I'm listening to Hadyn's piano sonata number 13. That's good news to the ear. Shhhhhhh............

Reply #286
The Sviatoslav Richter recording…? (If you listen to enough Haydn, you'll hear almost everything Beethoven wrote! :) )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #287
Too late...I'm on to Weber's Der Freischutz Overture.

Reply #288
There's so much good music! Enjoy. (But consider that Richter decided to forgo composition, because he thought there was enough "bad" music already… :) )

How he came to this conclusion is quite beyond me!
I consider the Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto the best composition, ever! (The Chicago Symphony under Reiner with Cliburn at the piano.) But I've heard it badly played, even by great musicians.
And much of Brahms' orchestral work is pedestrian, to say the most. (We needn't take Tchaikovsky's opinion into account — he resented that "people" liked Brahms more than him! Luckily, they're both dead: We can just listen to what they wrote…)

But I've not written any grand pieces myself! :)
进行 ...

Reply #290
And much of Brahms' orchestral work is pedestrian

As a Rock'n Roll guitar player, assuming my incapacity to play real music and only playing a musical fraud, and I'm speaking seriously, I always enjoy to listen to classical experts.
What does it means a "pedestrian orchestral work" on Brahms? does it opposes to a "motorized orchestral work"? I see, it means rudimentary...
Nice, I'll say it at my next dinner with erudite music lovers, Brahms?? bah... pedestrian....
:lol:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #291
Most, pedestrian. Some few, sublime! (1st and 4th Symphonies, for example… The 1st is "difficult" and is seldom played at the correct tempo. To you, that may be just a matter of taste; to me, it is the crucial component: If the First Movement is too fast or too slow, it is ruined…)
What does it means a "pedestrian orchestral work" […]
Something that is trite, entirely unsurprising and completely predictable. (Something that could have been written by anyone — and might as well have been.)
进行 ...

Reply #292
Hey you could be pedestrian!  :o

Reply #293
Compared to Brahms (…or most any other classical composer, which I'll admit should include Baroque and Romantic periods as well…), I am indeed but a pedestrian composer. But I've done some good work… :)
进行 ...

Reply #296
Today a local supermarket is selling Lindt chocolate at half price.
It doesn't get any better than this.

Reply #297
I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news. Maybe we need an Indifferent News thread. Anyhoo, here we go.
A teenage girl has added a new chapter to the politicians-eating-things file after filming David Cameron tucking into a tube of paprika Pringles.
The PM was chomping on the £1.80 snack on an Easyjet flight to Portugal - sparking incredulity on social media.
Fellow passenger Ashleigh was amazed too, telling her Twitter followers: "Guys I'm crying he was eating Pringles."
"I found the experience humbling," she told BBC News.

Reply #298
Never tried them but might follow the leader.....

Reply #299
Today, instead of lingering, China's markets began properly falling so that it affects global stock markets. At the same time, China to allow pension fund to invest in stock market for first time - this is the way to invest more numbers and safer to burn the paper where they are written on. The well-developed and civilised first world has already been using this method for a century or so.