Skip to main content
Topic: XP after XP (Read 48559 times)

Re: XP after XP

Reply #75
It's the 18th of April. Do you think my system will play me a funebrial music at the moment of :rip:?

Reply #76
It will if you make it. :P

Reply #77
ׂ

Reply #78
Quote from: The Inquirer
THE POPULAR Microsoft operating system that refuses to die, Windows XP, has seen a rise in popularity for the second month running.
...Microsoft, which has been trying every trick in the book to lure or scare users away from Windows XP, is going to be disappointed that once again attention has been drawn away from Windows 8, which continues to underperform, despite gaining slightly, stepping out of the shadow of Vista at 0.68 percent market share.
Cat, what did they mean about the IE?
Meanwhile, in the web browser market, Microsoft's Internet Explorer continues to be top dog with 58.19 percent of the market across all versions, a slight dip from last month that reflected...
???

Reply #79
ׂ

Reply #81

Reply #82

(IE must be always "used" anyway as long as Windows is running, huh?;))
I have heard that some stats count IE this way: Whoever is on Windows, also qualifies as an IE user.

Reply #83
[offtopic]YES - you really USE IE ("subconsciously":lol:): Windows 1) has it as integral part and 2) uses it now and then to fetch files or something, IDK.[/offtopic]

Reply #84
ׂ

Reply #85
ׂ

Reply #87
Windows 98, which cannot be connected to easily by Network Neighborhood

You mean with newer versions of Windows? As far as I recall things have been fine since Windows 3.11 (for Workgroups).

Maybe they use a Microsoft compiler or something.

I'm pretty sure that's why Firefox dropped support for Windows 2000 a while ago: a switch from an older to a newer Microsoft compiler.

Reply #88
My MSE antivirus has started to show 'yellow' (or is it orange?). Itself it works as expected, but it's stopped being green when it thinks everything alright. Maybe it doesn't?;)

Reply #89
ׂ

Reply #91
Antivirus was one of the main resource hogs on the netbook I have been talking about in this thread. The other was Skype that was made to launch at startup. The third was system updates. These and some more made the entire system unmanageable. Getting the system up and logging in took half an hour (literally) and, once logged in and able to launch programs, I was unable to uninstall the hogs and cloggers, so I simply gave up and replaced Win7 Starter, that was way too much for the machine, with Manjaro Openbox that runs like blitzkrieg on 1GB RAM.

The only reason to hold on to XP can be some special program that doesn't run on any other system. Maybe Josh can find some other excuse too, but I doubt it's a good excuse.

Reply #92
Can't you remember in a movies thread on MyOpera, I reported I'd watched a Tinker Bell?:) What's the pertinence? :lol: I can tink, you know:happy:

Reply #93

:lol: I can tink, you know:happy:
Poor excuse. If you have nothing to lose on the netbook, and you have another machine where to create bootable USB sticks, you should be practising already. This is how you will make your netbook last another decade.

Reply #95
ׂ

Reply #97
It's the 9th of April, 2014.
I'm on XP.
Just most recently I got an icon for updates: now there are 3 of them loading:) (Namely, 1) some IE security stuff, 2) a malware deletion tool (KB890830)...

Reply #98
Here's a Linux specifically made for netbooks: Netrunner Arch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AILYKTcBX1Y

The desktop on Netrunner is KDE, which may be too much for system resources. KDE certainly was too much when I tried Mageia for my netbook (1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Intel Atom). However, Netrunner has undergone some specific fine-tuning, so it should be worth a look.

On my netbook, Manjaro Openbox (installed at version 0.8.8 when it was it its most minimalistic - there was not even a webbrowser included; perfect for me, even though I still had to uninstall Synapse the files-and-programs search-and-launch thingie) has proven so fantastic that I am not considering anything else for at least a year or so.