Skip to main content
Topic: Anthropogenic Global Warming (Read 198710 times)

Re: Anthropogenic Global Warming

Reply #175

Where's my compensation from the oil and coal companies? Come on--- it's been several years, there's a lot of back-pay involved--- where is it? I've come out against CAGW for years now, so--- if what you say is true, I should be a wealthy man. As it is, if I tried to get a car loan the bank would point at my credit rating and laugh.

Based on your anti-CAGW performance on this site, you have no reason to expect any slice of the cake, not even a cookie. Shape up!

Different from Oakdale, who may actually have a point about politics that I may agree with. Which is why I don't discuss the politics with him. It's much comfier to bash the politics of the science of economics.

I don't get into stuff here much-- true. I'm a semi-regular commenter on WUWT though-- and Anthony Watts is as anti-CAGW as they come.

And-- for the record, no, I don't believe for one minute in the catastrophe-of-the-week stuff we hear about from the "We're all DOOOMMMMEEDDD" CAGW community. So--- where's my money???
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #176
OK. I can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt--- let alone a reasonable one--- that the above statement is in error.

Where's my compensation from the oil and coal companies? Come on--- it's been several years, there's a lot of back-pay involved--- where is it? I've come out against CAGW for years now, so--- if what you say is true, I should be a wealthy man.

Ok, I'll open a second league for those that helps the few I refer to get rich without ever seeing a centime. Feeling better? :)
As it is, if I tried to get a car loan the bank would point at my credit rating and laugh.

That my friend should be a motif of proud to you.
Do you know why there will be always slaves? because such people do whatever it's told to them to get that loan.
Different from Oakdale, who may actually have a point about politics that I may agree with.

You mean climate change being a political (anti American obviously) form of attack to their economics?
I also have doubts that reasonable doubt about CAGW is restricted in any way to the US-- but that's another issue.

Certainly it's not restricted to the US, (just wait and see what China is doing...) but is up to the US the bigger responsibility on constantly boycotting efforts to diminish environmental and climate disaster produced by human activity.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #177

Different from Oakdale, who may actually have a point about politics that I may agree with.

You mean climate change being a political (anti American obviously) form of attack to their economics?

He hasn't said anything too specific about it, so I don't know if his objections to the IPCC (which are, as far as can be determined, indeed purely political) only concern the funding of IPCC or go further into suspicions that IPCC is some devilish plow to attack the interests of American businesses. But yeah, very likely the latter too. 

Such is of course bs, because IPCC is funded by governments and governments are in bed with industries. So all the political corruption you see there reflects and stems from the same bedlife, and is not to do with "bad science". The corruption of the scientists (which happens too) is of a whole different nature and degree than the political corruption.

Reply #178
He hasn't said anything too specific about it,

He never says... :)
He prefers to let his mind fly away to some obscure place.
The corruption of the scientists (which happens too) is of a whole different nature and degree than the political corruption.

Yes it happens together with incompetency and intellectual fraud. The problem is they have to live under a private financing fund model so the pressure for "discovering" what the donors wants them to "discover" it's huge.

Somehow related with all this, you all know BP - British Petroleum. In a rather intelligent move their advertising started using BP - Beyond Petroleum some time ago.
That's the biggest demonstration they have no arguments against the environmental and climatic impact of using fossil fuels (besides a smart strategy for trying to keep riding the wave).

Just one more thing, I have no illusions that also pro environment organizations suffers from the same problems regarding being used to political objectives. Shakespeare said something alike "in times of adversity one finds strange bed company". I have no patience for Greenpeace for example.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #179
He hasn't said anything too specific about it, so I don't know if his objections to the IPCC (which are, as far as can be determined, indeed purely political) only concern the funding of IPCC or go further into suspicions that IPCC is some devilish plo[t] to attack the interests of American businesses.
My objections to the IPCC are straightforward: Tasked with estimating the best understanding of "climate science", they quickly became an arm of anti-capitalist "environmentalism" evangelism! (That may sound a little harsh — but each new Policy Summary made it plainer… But —Jeez! You know, it might be important…?!)
[Like I said, a while back, ersi: You're late to this discussion. I've been involved with it since the late '90s. What you "learned" in grade school needs up-dating! Start with AR3.
(Thinking that the Montreal Protocol was a repeatable big-government, multi-government "agreement" is — well, it ain't gonna happen again: "Fool me once, shame on you!"…]
What about Global Warming/Climate Change convinces you?!

I'll mention a few things that don't convince me:
Their "evidence" is primarily GCM model predictions,
their predictions have been falsified,
noone seems to think we need better models…

Has it occurred to you that science requires a little bit more… More than politics? More than a consensus?
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #180
The corruption of the scientists (which happens too) is of a whole different nature and degree than the political corruption.Yes it happens together with incompetency and intellectual fraud. The problem is they have to live under a private financing fund model so the pressure for "discovering" what the donors wants them to "discover" it's huge.
Because regal largesse is such, and has been proven to be!, so, so much better at seeking "reality"… :)
The Government is God! God is the Government! (Trotski, I think… :) (Or maybe only a Sycamore scion!""You Can't Take It With You") who played the xylophone, badly!)

You know: I'm beginning to think that liberals in my country (and almost everyone in European countries)  just like bad xylophone playing… That's too bad.
You never heard of Lionel Hampton? :)
进行 ...

Reply #181

My objections to the IPCC are straightforward: Tasked with estimating the best understanding of "climate science", they quickly became an arm of anti-capitalist "environmentalism" evangelism! (That may sound a little harsh — but each new Policy Summary made it plainer… But —Jeez! You know, it might be important…?!)

I.e. a conspiracy theory. I only accept conspiracy facts. You have to state who is gaining and what, so that it could be reasonably inferred that the conspiracy is real. Until then, dismissed.

I'll mention a few things that don't convince me:
Their "evidence" is primarily GCM model predictions,
their predictions have been falsified,
noone seems to think we need better models…

Evidence of what? Predictions of what? Models of what?

This has been the issue with you all the time. We have already established that we are not talking about the same thing. You don't even acknowledge the blindingly obvious environmental issue: When you pee in your well, you will be drinking pee. It doesn't even take a scientist to know this with indisputable certainty.

As long as you don't say what you take greenhouse effect to be, dismissed.

Has it occurred to you that science requires a little bit more… More than politics? More than a consensus?

Science is other than politics. It's the politics that does things, whether justified by science or not. They need cooperation, but if you had power, you would be one of the main obstructionists. Anyway, there are enough people like you at power, so you can stay retired.

By the way, where is your story of photons?

Reply #182
That seems to have been the problem between us for a very long time: You think your "primary" education is sufficient… :)

You don't even acknowledge the blindingly obvious environmental issue: When you pee in your well, you will be drinking pee. It doesn't even take a scientist to know this with indisputable certainty.
Then, obviously, we should de-populate the oceans of fish… who both pee and defecate in the oceans! (You have proven yourself to be an idiot.)  Of course, it "doesn't take a scientist"… You wouldn't know one, if he was peeing on you! :)

BTW:
I.e. a conspiracy theory. I only accept conspiracy facts. You have to state who is gaining and what, so that it could be reasonably inferred that the conspiracy is real. Until then, dismissed.
Until you respond to reasonable questions, I'll banter; but your macho a macho frame is too stupid to take seriously…
I know that you didn't like the Soviets; but you're not smart enough to escape their indoctrination. (That makes me very sad.) Propaganda requires a willing mind.

Be well, ersi. (I will certainly not harm you…)
进行 ...

Reply #183

That seems to have been the problem between us for a very long time: You think your "primary" education is sufficient… :)

Of course primary education is not sufficient (for everything - and I said I have been following up matters), but it's naturally sufficient to beat your deficient vague nonsense.

You don't even acknowledge the blindingly obvious environmental issue: When you pee in your well, you will be drinking pee. It doesn't even take a scientist to know this with indisputable certainty.
Then, obviously, we should de-populate the oceans of fish… who both pee and defecate in the oceans! (You have proven yourself to be an idiot.)  Of course, it "doesn't take a scientist"… You wouldn't know one, if he was peeing on you! :)

Ah, I see. You take industry to be a natural phenomenon, like fish in the sea. Why didn't you say so? This debate could have ended pages ago.

Until you respond to reasonable questions, I'll banter...

Why don't you stop bantering and ask a reasonable question for once? By reasonable, I mean a complete sentence. Your sentences always miss a crucial part. E.g. "There's no evidence. Their models have been falsified." It's really quite important to know what evidence and models you have in mind. As long as you mean evidence for warming and predictive models of that- as you must -, I will simply laugh you away, because they are not the main part of the IPCC reports.

Linear warming is the main part only for the denialist simpletons, because they like to ignore environmental issues and pick on something obvious. As I said, weather cannot be predicted even a week ahead, so it's a no-brainer to disregard "predictive models" trying to predict ahead more than that. This is why I don't take you seriously as long as that's what you mean by "models".

By the way, where's your story of photons?

Reply #184
Perhaps a little global warming will be useful very soon.

"Life on Earth has always been dependent on the conditions of the Sun, so scientists spend a lot of time studying its activity. A recent announcement from solar scientists suggests that the Sun may soon enter a period of significant reduced activity, possibly causing a mini ice age by 2030 – just 15 years from now.

These predictions were announced at the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno, Wales, so it hasn't been possible to evaluate the research yet. However, Professor Valentina Zharkova from the University of Northumbria who made this announcement claims that the findings come from a computer model of sunspots that has made "unprecedentedly accurate predictions," as reported in The Guardian."  Go here for more.    :knight:   :cheers:
James J

Reply #185
I've heard of this model, and it's more than an "epi-cycles" thing… But it remains to be seen how good it is.
——————————————————————————————
Ah, I see. You take industry to be a natural phenomenon
I take humans to be a "natural" phenomenon — and their activities. You disagree?
You're right in thinking that we have insurmountable problems of a definitional nature. An example to ponder: Is a major volcanic eruption "pollution"?
进行 ...

Reply #186

I've heard of this model, and it's more than an "epi-cycles" thing… But it remains to be seen how good it is.
——————————————————————————————
I take humans to be a "natural" phenomenon — and their activities. You disagree?
You're right in thinking that we have insurmountable problems of a definitional nature. An example to ponder: Is a major volcanic eruption "pollution"?

If one considers CO2 and sulfur dioxide as pollutants then volcanic eruptions (major and minor), contribute the same pollutants as our factories and motor vehicles.  It's just that all of the volcanic activity around the globe accounts for less then 1% of the total amount of CO2 emissions caused by human activity (29 gigatons annually now).  The volcanic mega-eruption about 201 million years ago (brought on by tectonic forces ripping Pangaea apart), doubled the atmospheric CO2, raised global temperatures and acidified the oceans very quickly and caused 50% of living species to go extinct, but these are indeed rare (more rare than asteroid impacts). 

There is a distinction made between the natural land & sea CO2 emissions and human CO2 emissions--this is certainly more for clarification reasons than it is to be saying that human activity is not part of earth's natural phenomena.  In fact there has long been a distinction between what is caused by nature and that which recently has been brought on by humans.  The land & sea CO2 cycle of emission and absorption has been going on since life began and it has been very much in balance for a couple billion years.  Humans started adding excess CO2 to the atmosphere (only 40% is reabsorbed), a mere 120 years ago and so it is considered by many to not be a part of the long-standing "natural" cycle.  It is natural in my opinion, just very recent is all--not to mention the fact that humans have no free will to be anything but natural.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #187
Markets will regulate climate as they do with politics.

Reply #188
Markets will regulate climate as they do with politics.

Markets? or Merkels?

Ask for political asylum at the South while you still are allowed to do it krake.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #189

Ask for political asylum at the South while you still are allowed to do it krake.

After the South will manage to bankrupt us I'll seek for economic asylum.

Reply #190

After the South will manage to bankrupt us I'll seek for economic asylum.

:lol: you can sit on the lap of your nazi wheel chair financial minister while you wait...
By the way, don't you want to sell more four of your submarine to Greece? more two to us? how many more millions of Mercedes, BMW's and the sort? How many more millions of pharmaceutical industry? Industry machines?
Do you really have something to say?

Was not for us and you'll be broken. Even the lousy dollar values the same as the Euro thanks to you.
Don't bother me while I concentrate upon the Anglo Saxons. After, I'll deal with the Germanics. One enemy at the time.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #191

By the way, don't you want to sell more four of your submarine to Greece? more two to us? how many more millions of Mercedes, BMW's and the sort? How many more millions of pharmaceutical industry? Industry machines?
Do you really have something to say?

To be honest, I wouldn't sell you even a rusty nail anymore.
You didn't even pay for the goods you have received. It was paid from our tax money.
Up now it would be time to buy your goodies from our US friends.
Only exception would be some pharmaceutical products. I would give them for free (I mean paid with our tax money because the industry has nothing to give away).  Epidemics is the last thing Europe needs.

Reply #192
Only exception would be some pharmaceutical products. I would give them for free (I mean paid with our tax money because the industry has nothing to give away).  Epidemics is the last thing Europe needs.

Except for vaccinations, overuse of pharmaceutical products in e.g. France is what will cause an epidemic. What's important is things like proper sanitation infrastructure and access to it.

Reply #193
Up now it would be time to buy your goodies from our US friends.

I buy nothing to anthropogenic global warmers while they don't convert into ecological fundamentalists, all them living in the woods.
Then, they will have nothing to sell.

Either Mankind finish with commerce or commerce will finish with Mankind. International Trade Treaties are the instrument of the alien take over and consequent destruction on Earth. They Live.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #195

You have "heard of" the greenhouse effect, your opinion of it is "it remains to be seen", and you think you have something meaningful to say on this topic?

Of course I disagree, because we are not talking about the same kind of "natural" either. Your "natural" means that since volcanoes exist, industrial pollution is natural. Whereas my definition of "natural" acquires its meaning in contrast with "unnatural", same as order is defined in contrast with disorder, right in contrast with wrong, etc.

When industrial pollution is natural to you, there's nothing unnatural and "natural" has no meaning to you. For me it has a meaning. So we are not talking about the same thing.

By the way, where is your story of photons?

Reply #197
So he wants a story of photons.

"Helm, bring us about. New heading 222.4 . Arm photon torpedoes."

"Captain, target is in range."

"Good, get the shooting solution. Put on some speed."

"Target lock, we have a shooting solution."

"Fire torpedoes."

"Target destroyed, captain."
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #198
When industrial pollution is natural to you, there's nothing unnatural and "natural" has no meaning to you. For me it has a meaning. So we are not talking about the same thing.

America is drifting away from Europe. It happens with continents as well as with cultural concepts.

Strangely however, while cultural concepts approaches total emptiness the geographical land mass remains the same. Obviously it can't be that way, so the Country is actually shrinking but such fact is being hidden by Google Earth.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #199
You have "heard of" the greenhouse effect, your opinion of it is "it remains to be seen", and you think you have something meaningful to say on this topic?
Please try to pay attention, ersi… Or use a modern browser or much bigger screen; or a better memory… :) This is what I referred to:
"Life on Earth has always been dependent on the conditions of the Sun, so scientists spend a lot of time studying its activity. A recent announcement from solar scientists suggests that the Sun may soon enter a period of significant reduced activity, possibly causing a mini ice age by 2030 – just 15 years from now.

These predictions were announced at the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno, Wales, so it hasn't been possible to evaluate the research yet. However, Professor Valentina Zharkova from the University of Northumbria who made this announcement claims that the findings come from a computer model of sunspots that has made "unprecedentedly accurate predictions," as reported in The Guardian."  Go here for more. 
Solar physics is not a specialty of mine… But models that make good (or bad) predictions are.
For instance, Arrhenius' toy model of the greenhouse effect is good basic physics — and all but worthless as the basis of a predictive climate model. (Note: I don't say weather…) It is suitable for teaching grade-school children some basic physics; it is not suitable for a programme of intergovernmental curbs on fossil fuel energy — or industry in general. :)

Sometimes important things are more complicated than what an elementary education can encompass.
[…] we are not talking about the same kind of "natural" either. Your "natural" means that since volcanoes exist, industrial pollution is natural.
No. My definition includes reality! Man —as does every other organism on Earth— affects its environment; you have some "moral" scruple that requires Man to be beyond such… (Perhaps, in time, you -we- may have the knowledge and power to be so.) Industrial pollution is something industrialized countries have been dealing with better and better! Poorer countries new to industrialization will learn. It takes time… Relative wealth is a requirement.
Or you take Man (at least, most of the poor nations…) to be dispensable. (I politely disagree!)
Whereas my definition of "natural" acquires its meaning in contrast with "unnatural", same as order is defined in contrast with disorder, right in contrast with wrong, etc.
Left in contrast with right? Dorsal… You do love your dichotomies, don't you? :) Your definitional school-boy games are -it seems- all you have.
Too bad! You've a mind that could have profited from an education.
——————————————————————————————————————————
"Whereas my definition of natural acquires its meaning in contrast with unnatural," you said, ersi… The obverse is not the only possibility. (Except in your anemic logic… :) ) I'd like to consider the likely-hood that your "definition" is predicated upon a predetermined outcome: Man, bad; "nature", good!
So. Argue that! :)
———————————————————————————————————————————
"order is defined in contrast with disorder" you said! Only by hide-bound adherents to the "dichotomy" heresy… (Your language is the limit only of your world; you needn't be so parochial!)

Order is a statistical concept. (If you don't know that…) How can disorder be defined? :) Should it be defined as the differences noted between what was expected and what happened? :)
Naw! Then, you'd have to mention -and maybe deal with- theories that the mainstream doesn't want to notice…
You think you can understand the world by parsing the dictionary? :)
—————————————————————————————————————————————
——————————————————————————————————————————————
I just watched the latest episode of the TV show "Hannibal"… A character said: — well, I forget who it was and what was said. Suffice it to say, evil will out!
(Or the opposite.)

Of course, that's not right… Did anyone else watch it? Might someone else know what I'd thought I'd gleaned?
Probably not. There's only a few billion people who might have watched the show; likely, tens of millions. And how many would see my query?
Few, to none.

Does anyone actually have anything to say? (And how could this have anything to do with a "theory of anthropogenic catastrophic global warming [climate change]"?

Give me data and theories that lead me to conclusions!
Don't give me corrupted data, models that don't accurately predict anything…and "scientists" who play politics, for a living!

Or agree with ersi, at least insofar as -as a rule- disagreeing with me. His "agenda" is his own. If you've adopted it, please explain it to us others…
进行 ...