Skip to main content
Topic: Philosophy, Logic, Formal Systems (Read 72763 times)

Re: Philosophy, Logic, Formal Systems

Reply #225
Have you read Feynman's QED booklet…? (Or -heavens forfend!- Whitehead's Process and Reality? :) )

Never mind: Just tell me if you think photons have free will… (I don't need to know where you're coming from; only where you are. Are you a committed animist?) I'll tell you why I think they don't…
Fair enough? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #226

Have you read Feynman's QED booklet…? (Or -heavens forfend!- Whitehead's Process and Reality? :) )

And you have? Then you have a story of photons up your sleeve, yet you are not sharing it. How disappointing. And typical of you.

Never mind: Just tell me if you think photons have free will… (I don't need to know where you're coming from; only where you are. Are you a committed animist?) I'll tell you why I think they don't…
Fair enough? :)

No, not fair at all. First, you are eminently prepared, having read some topical storybooks. Second, even though you are eminently prepared and I am not, you still operate under hidden flawed presuppositions. For example, where do you get I'd say photons have free will? Isn't it obvious that we have a different perspectives to free will, different theories of the scope and entailments of free will, different definitions of what it means to be a photon and what it means to be an animist? Yes, it's all so glaringly obvious that it would only be fair of you to serve up your story right now. Anyway, I simply take note that you are not fair. It's no news either.

Okay, so here's my little story of photons. From your former quibble about "statistical reasoning" I infer that by bringing up photons you have in mind the double slit experiment, which some scientists interpret as if photons had free will. For me the experiment is in full conformity with determinism, given that the view on *determinants* (the properties that determine the behaviour and nature of the photon) is modified. Despite the impression that one shoots photons from the source of light particle by particle, photons still primarily tend to have wave-like nature. They collapse into particles only given other further determinants, such as the bombardment by particles which are used to "observe" the movement and position of photons.

Or, as is so often the case, you didn't give me enough background information so I could give the kind of account you intended to get. This only adds to the unfairness of the situation. You really should have given your story first.

Reply #227

Would have no use for any of it because the omniscient being "is" entirely, when needing to use, you aren't entirely.

Ah, I see now. It was you who brought up "omniscient being" that got Oakdale annoyed and scared all over. You have to be careful with this. Americans have the Halloween and zombie movies. Omniscient beings are like that to them.

Reply #228
Ah, I see now. It was you who brought up "omniscient being" that got Oakdale annoyed and scared all over. You have to be careful with this. Americans have the Halloween and zombie movies. Omniscient beings are like that to them.

Yes, indeed.
Watch for "The Omniscient strikes again" soon at a cinema next to you. Better than Rambo.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #229
If you mean the famous Omniscient Wars series, then the correct title was The Omniscient Strikes Back. Oakdale seems to be under the spell of the prequels, most obviously Episode I: The Phantom Omniscient.

[This part was in keeping with a thread in My Opera's Lounge "Change one word in the movie title..." Now for something completely different.]

Oakdale has his problems with "statistical reasoning". The real problem is that he never explains what his problems are. And my problem is that there are a bunch of solutions, but Oakdale is not accepting solutions. Either because the solutions are not applicable (could be, because he never clarifies the problem in the first place) or, more likely in my opinion, he likes problems and hates solutions.

Here's an article I found about the quantum weirdness problem. The problem, as stated in the article, is that physicists understand the mathematics of quantum mechanics, but not the ontology. Mathematical measurements give a statistical approximative solution about how objects appear. On quantum level objects appear bilocated. According to the article, this is because of metaphysical presuppositions that started with at least Descartes.

On Cartesian ontology, reality consists of res extensae (extended objective things) on one hand and res cogitantes ("thinking entities") on the other. The issue with the ontology is the tacit supposition that res extensae, whose paradigmatic example is inert objects, are describable in purely quantitative terms. Objects are supposed to be absolutely bereft of the cogitans quality. This philosophical view is what Whitehead termed "bifurcation". The result of bifurcationism is "many world hypothesis" and other such ad hoc explanations of "quantum weirdness".

...to resolve the semblance of paradox one needs but to relinquish a certain philosophic postulate foisted upon us by Galileo and Descartes. Quantum paradox, it appears, is Nature's way of repudiating a spurious philosophy.

We need thus to take a second look at quantum mechanics, this time from a nonbifurcationist point of view. Now, to deny bifurcation is to affirm the objective reality of the perceived entity: the red apple, thus, is once again recognized as an external object. That perceptible entity, moreover, is to be distinguished from what may be called the "molecular apple," a thing that, clearly, cannot be perceived, but can be known only through the methods of physics. One is consequently led to distinguish between two kinds of external objects: corporeal objects, which can be perceived, and physical objects, which can only be observed indirectly through the modus operandi of the experimental physicist. The two ontological domains are of course closely related, failing which there could be no science of the physical at all. The basic fact is this: Every corporeal object X is associated with a physical object SX from which it derives all of its quantitative attributes. The red apple, for example, derives its weight from the molecular. The crucial point, however, is that the two are not the same thing; X and SX belong to different ontological planes--to different worlds, one could almost say.

The bifurcationist, obviously, does not recognize this distinction, since he denies the existence of the corporeal object X; but in so doing, he implicitly identifies X with SX. The credo of bifurcation thus entails a reduction of the corporeal to the physical. And in that reductionism, I say, lies the fundamental fallacy--the illusion, if you will--of the prevailing Weltanschauung.

So, on nobifurcationist (and nonreductionist) view, there's a distinction of corporeal world accessible by means of the senses on one hand and subcorporeal (quantum or microscale physics) world accessible by means of the experimental physics on the other. The distinction should make sense, because it makes sense to suppose that descriptions of ontology perceived by different means should yield different descriptions. For example, the world as presented through the sense of vision is a whole different kind than the world as presented through the auditory sense alone. Or though the olfactory sense alone. Or through the tactile sense alone. And this happens to be the common-sense fact that quantum physics has discovered.

Now, the author Jan A Smith is a Thomist (Aristotelian) and therefore goes on to propose an Aristotelian solution to explain quantum weirdness. There's also the Platonist solution in simple accord with common sense. The solution is not there only for those who like problems too much.

The solution is clear, but will of course sound problematic for particularist atheistic thinkers of modern age. Namely, the solution, whether Aristotelian or Platonist, unconditionally entails that atomism is false.

...if cats and cricket balls were "made of individual particles," they would indeed be able to exist in unrestricted states of superposition; but the point is that they are not thus made. From a nonbifurcationist point of view, corporeal objects, as we have seen, are not simply aggregates of particles, but something more. We need therefore to inquire what it is that differentiates X from SX; and for this we shall turn to Thomistic ontology.

On atomism, things are made of particles - and that's it. No mind. No ineffable conscious stuff at all. Only epiphenomena of particles. Everything is particles. This is atomism, and this is what's false.

On the solution, however, particles are particles of something, and upon the consideration of the something the quantum weirdness begins to dissolve. I personally never bought into atomism, so for me quantum physics never had any weirdness.

And the problem of "statistical reasoning" will also dissolve as soon as false Oakdalean presuppositions are cleared away. We are still yet to hear his story of photons.

Reply #230
Everything is more than the sum of its parts, being those parts just particles, particles and spirit or just spirit/conscience doesn't matter. Everything is itself plus it's circumstance.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #231
You,ersi -and some few others- go to great pains, to convince me of things I already believe… Why, I wonder?
Perhaps because you don't believe them, yourselves!? :)
[Thank you for the link: It includes reasoned discourse! I don't find such often… I have more to read. Of course, I will return!}
What Whitehead said is, of course, open to interpretation… (i was idiot enough to read Process and Reality a few times… And he didn't make his weird philosophy in any way amenable to reason! He became a mystic…) I'm not saying that that's a bad thing; only that it is a non-scientific and non-rational thinking.
(Again, I state -for the record- that such is not necessarily wrong; only, that it is unsupported by argument or evidence… Other than ejaculations!)

Would you reject both science and rationality? :)

I think you would.
进行 ...

Reply #232

You,ersi -and some few others- go to great pains, to convince me of things I already believe… Why, I wonder?
Perhaps because you don't believe them, yourselves!? :)

And what is it that you believe? As far as I have figured out, you don't believe much and you don't care to know either. When you say things, you say incompletely. Btw, where's your story of photons?

What Whitehead said is, of course, open to interpretation… (i was idiot enough to read Process and Reality a few times… And he didn't make his weird philosophy in any way amenable to reason! He became a mystic…) I'm not saying that that's a bad thing; only that it is a non-scientific and non-rational thinking.

And how do you interpret Whitehead? What do you consider non-scientific and non-rational?

I have myself not read Whitehead, except for short quotes like in the article I linked. Btw, where's your story of photons?

Would you reject both science and rationality? :)

I think you would.

As much as I know about you, it's quite certain that you are talking about some other science and rationality than what is normally meant by those words. Btw, where's your story of photons?

Here's something more about SOMETHING.

How to approach the something I talked about last time? One way to put it is to say that particles are particles of something. Just like waves are the way the ocean appears on the surface, so also particles are the way matter appears. And it's just the surface.

It's really important to distinguish the surface from the core, and appearance from (true) reality. What we perceive is just the surface. To put it another way, what we perceive is just a part of reality. The world perceived only through hearing is a partial reality, an auditory experience. It's the same through any other sense, including the measurements of experimental physics. The measurements of experimental physics is just another sense that gives a limited picture of the world the same way as any other sense does.

Moreover, it's the same even through all the various senses combined. All this is appearance, but it's appearance of something, namely of reality. This conclusion is not arrived at by means of the senses, but by means of rational mind and intuition. There's no lesson or wisdom in sense-data unless rationally organised. It's the rational mind that organises sense-data. The senses themselves don't do it. The measurement results of physics tell nothing by themselves. They have to be interpreted and it's the interpretation that tells something.

So, we get the idea that appearance is appearance of something. To verify this idea we can consider its antithesis: Appearance is all there is - there's no further anything. But if there's no further anything, then why does it exist? How can it exist? The why and how questions are typically not answered by sense-data, but by rational mind and intuition after sufficient organisation and digestion of the sense-data. If why and how questions are important and are to be answered, then the thesis that appearance is distinct from reality is inevitable.

Another way to approach the something is through (what I call) logic. Supposing our senses are not deceiving us, we call our sense-perception real. This thing we perceive, whatever it is, an apple or the universe or an atom, is real. However, as soon as we posit any such thing, we are logically tacitly positing also another thing, that from which we extracted or delimited the thing we posited.

The other thing is logically different from the thing we posited. When we explicitly posit an apple, we implicitly posit non-apple. When we explicitly posit, through concrete sense-perception, a particular specific apple, we automatically exclude the rest of reality as other-than-this-apple. This is a logical necessity. There's no way around it.

Taking this logical necessity seriously, we can consider what we are implicitly positing when we explicitly posit particles or atoms. Atoms are a multiplicity, hence the other thing is single. Atoms are particular (like grains of sand), hence the other thing is uniform. Atoms are detected and objectively observed, hence the other thing is not - it's the observer rather than observed. Etc. This is both scientific and rational.

Btw, where's your story of photons?

Reply #233

The reason Heisenberg said that is not possible to be aware where a particle is, to determinate simultaneously location and speed, was because to observing it the observer influences the phenomena. (by way of needing to project light - or any other form of energy on it.)

I said this very same thing earlier when I said in this thread, "Despite the impression that one shoots photons from the source of light particle by particle, photons still primarily tend to have wave-like nature. They collapse into particles only given other further determinants, such as the bombardment by particles which are used to "observe" the movement and position of photons."

Here I say that photons are waves rather than particles, but during "observation" the poor little photons are bombarded with other particles which are as big and as heavy as photons, in order to determine where the photons are. This bombardment obviously causes photons to collapse from their more normal wave-like nature into a particular (particle-like) shape. This should be common sense. Similarly on our macroevel, when we want to know about the physiology of an animal, we cut the animal up and it dies. Things like this happen all the time.

From such simple statement I've seen things written that goes until particles a) are at two different places simultaneously; or  b) our mind determines where particles are;
Etc, etc.

Yes. Somehow in reporting about quantum experiments, the idea that "observation determines where the partice is" has become dominant. In documentaries I have gotten used to seeing physicists scared out of their minds when they talk about these things. The scientists are incapable of helping people understand quantum physics, because they themselves don't understand even the ludicrously simple double slit experiment. In the article that I just told about in this thread, the author implies that bilocation is really bifurcation - double vision :)

Btw, Oakdale, where's your story of photons? Science proves that photons have free will, right?

Reply #234
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Yes, I want to reply. This was a good thread and I wait for Oakdale's answer about photons having free will.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #235
What would happen if photons decided to travel slower than the speed of light!?!

Reply #236
Happens all the time, Jaybro. (The medium is -if not the message itself- at least, well, the medium! :) ) …You've heard of diffraction, I imagine?
进行 ...

Reply #237
So, we get the idea that appearance is appearance of something. To verify this idea we can consider its antithesis: Appearance is all there is - there's no further anything. But if there's no further anything, then why does it exist? How can it exist?
Oh?! You still want to use the Ontological Argument? :)
The why and how questions are typically not answered by sense-data, but by rational mind and intuition after sufficient organisation and digestion of the sense-data. If why and how questions are important and are to be answered, then the thesis that appearance is distinct from reality is inevitable.
"Sense-data" (and qualia, too!) are not likely more than convenient "theoretical" constructs… (You'll note: Not much has come from the posited "sense-data".) But common sense seems ever to be resorted to, even by theoretical physicists.
进行 ...

Reply #238

Oh?! You still want to use the Ontological Argument? :)

I use everything that works. Show me it doesn't work.

"Sense-data" (and qualia, too!) are not likely more than convenient "theoretical" constructs…

So there's no difference between the two? And how is this hypothesis useful? What benefit does it have over the hypothesis that sense-data are one thing and their theoretically constructive organisation is another?

Reply #239
Oh?! You still want to use the Ontological Argument?  :)

I use everything that works. Show me it doesn't work.

If wishes were horses, we'd all be riding…
进行 ...

Reply #240
Good I wasn't expecting anything sensical. This is the only way you don't disappoint.

Reply #241
Quote from: Belfrager on 2014-11-08, 23:37:18The reason Heisenberg said that is not possible to be aware where a particle is, to determinate simultaneously location and speed, was because to observing it the observer influences the phenomena. (by way of needing to project light - or any other form of energy on it.)

I said this very same thing earlier when I said in this thread, "Despite the impression that one shoots photons from the source of light particle by particle, photons still primarily tend to have wave-like nature. They collapse into particles only given other further determinants, such as the bombardment by particles which are used to "observe" the movement and position of photons."

I wish to interject that the Heisenberg Principle should not be confused with the observer effect.  The observer effect asserts that  the act of observing a system will influence that which is being observed.  Although this is important in understanding the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, the two are not interchangeable.  The wave-particle duality states that any energy exhibits both particle and wave-like behavior. As a result, in quantum mechanics, a particle cannot have both a definite position and momentum.  Consequently, the limitations described by Heisenberg are a natural occurrence and have nothing to do with any limitations of the empirical (observed)  system.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #242
I wish to interject that the Heisenberg Principle should not be confused with the observer effect.  The observer effect asserts that  the act of observing a system will influence that which is being observed.  Although this is important in understanding the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, the two are not interchangeable.  The wave-particle duality states that any energy exhibits both particle and wave-like behavior. As a result, in quantum mechanics, a particle cannot have both a definite position and momentum.  Consequently, the limitations described by Heisenberg are a natural occurrence and have nothing to do with any limitations of the empirical (observed)  system.

The fact that energy exhibits both particle and wave-like behavior doesn't invalidates what you call the "observer's effect". Therefore your conclusion is wrong.

I hold and maintain that Heisenberg was referring to what you call the observer's effect. Dual states can be so much affected (or probably even more) by external interference and there's no way an observer can observe but by interfering with energy.

Such confusions are at the very base of the imbecilities being written by the media about quantics.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #243
I hold and maintain that Heisenberg was referring to what you call the observer's effect.
That's funny: Heisenberg didn't… But, of course, you know better! :)
进行 ...

Reply #244
That's funny: Heisenberg didn't

Course not, the principle of uncertainty was postulated many moons ago by Big Chief Sitting Writer.
After he invented writing. Or even before, I'm not sure.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #245
What you mean to say is -I take it- you don't understand; and that makes you ill at ease, and confrontational. Okay.
Are you still a Freudian? You can have a lot of fun with it, then! :)

Wave/particle duality is not a function of observer effects… It's a fact of quantum reality.

进行 ...

Reply #246
Wave/particle duality is not a function of observer effects… It's a fact of quantum reality.

Since when quantum "reality" (as if you know what quantum reality is...) is not afected by the observer effect?
You really have a problem with the very basic logics. Not good to someone pretending to dominate it's highest levels...

And even worst, you keep on being a materialist, as clearly shown.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #247
I'm a fan of causality, Bel. I'd like to see -at least- physics preserve it, as a guiding principle. (Are you "on board" with this? :) I doubt it — but there's hope for your kind of subjectivity, if you're not keen on logic!)
ersi, you've repeatedly asked for "my story" of the photon… (I asked a simple question: Does a photon have "free will"? Of course, you didn't answer.) So -having given you more than ample time to find your answer- I'll give you a hint: Wheeler.
(Bel, you won't take hints: You don't care — for arguments, evidence, or truth. :) )
进行 ...

Reply #248

I'm a fan of causality, Bel. I'd like to see -at least- physics preserve it, as a guiding principle.

What is causality as per Oakdale?

The rest of what you say makes frankly no sense at all. Definitions first, then we can discuss.

Reply #249
(Bel, you won't take hints: You don't care — for arguments, evidence, or truth.  :)  )

What a nonsense Oakdale.

My subjectivity, as you call it, doesn't lies in any intellectual method per itself but in the nature of the observer's diversity facing a non existing material "reality".

You keep using Logics as your battle horse but after all these years of discussions and entertainment I doubt very much about your riding capacities. Have you ever learned the basics? I believe you jump it directly simply to fall into an endless cascade of errors.

Meanwhile I'm not restricted to logics and I enjoy to play a bit of "theater of absurd". It's reinvigorating and gives the otherwise boring discussion a certain charm. :)
I understand that many people are too much earth-to-earth to appreciate it.
A matter of attitude.