Opinions I know I agree with
[ 0 ] (0%)
Posters I usually disagree with
[ 1 ] (12.5%)
Posters I usually agree with
[ 0 ] (0%)
Subjects that interest me
[ 5 ] (62.5%)
Subjects that are entirely nonsensical, to me… :)
[ 2 ] (25%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Topic: What's with our posting habits? (Read 11997 times)

What's with our posting habits?

I confess: I don't look forward to reading threads whose six or more most recent posts are by rjhowie… But what should I think when my last nine posts are prominent? :)

I'd ask a simple question:
Does it matter, to you, who last posted — before you read further? Before you think of posting, yourself?
I mean, are there some posters whose "style" or "content" put you off…? Who keep you away from threads which otherwise might interest you?
Or the exact opposite: Some posters entice or require you to respond?

Make your preferences known! I beg you…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Re: What's with our posting habits?

Reply #1
There are posters whose posts I look forward to.
There are posters whose very existence irritates me
I would welcome an option that allowed me to nominate one or two individuals and thereby ensure that their posts never appear on my screen.
Otherwise I am a kindly soul who sees only the good in people.

Reply #2
Who keep you away from threads which otherwise might interest you?

We can hardly keep on posting for years and years about the same things, regardless who posted before.
We need new victims users we need fresh blood new content.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #3
I can endure almost any poster...even the above poster.
:jester:

Reply #4
Quote from: OakdaleFTL
entice or require you to respond

i think...
make no decision , is also make decision  .
therefore,  ignoring is also somekind of respond .

and honestly,  it is very hard to ignore  certain posts/topics, nor not make stupid people famous .
in this forum nor in another forum .

Reply #5
I operate under the assumption no one cares what I have to say.

That's probably no less annoying than someone that thinks they have countless fans they have to win over with every post. If my response runs too long I'm likely to just delete it and not post or shorten it to a remark that says almost nothing. A bad habit for adding content that would attract new users, I know.

I think most of us have someone we like to argue with the most. ( Sadly for me jonnysaucepn didn't make the transition.:( ) Without any context for how long we've been torturing each other new users are probably put off by the adversarial tone threads take.  

Reply #6
I do not think anything makesdme a point of rushing to a thread and is only a break from me building Irish railways on my simulator programme. Most of the stuff is lie a rehash of the Opera Forum thingy.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #7

I do not think anything makesdme a point of rushing to a thread and is only a break from me building Irish railways on my simulator programme. Most of the stuff is lie a rehash of the Opera Forum thingy.

Bite tongue, tt! Bite tongue!

Reply #8
I do not think anything makesdme a point of rushing to a thread and is only a break from me building Irish railways on my simulator programme.
(That's okay, tt92 — I'll make the most pertinent and obvious point:)
Reality is not your strong suit, Howie:)
进行 ...

Reply #9
There is no pleasure in following a predictable trail of words, after a writer has jammed his autopilot and abandoned control. Writers should look for what others don't see, find those places others haven't yet been swayed to go.

Many threads here on the other hand seem the leftovers from posters having flossed their teeth. I think posters, and particularly the responding posters, should ask themselves:  Am I adding to this thread now or am I just adding to its length? What should I have started instead?

Reply #11
I like to read and answer to the Good, the Bad and the Ugly posters. I don't like those in between.
Besides, we're all Hero members, we can survive anything.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #12

I like to read and answer to the Good, the Bad and the Ugly posters. I don't like those in between.
Besides, we're all Hero members, we can survive anything.

Are we now?  :)

ETA: Forgot that the 500 post threshold assures us of such.  :doh:

Reply #13

What should I have started instead?

The answer to that probably wouldn't bring me back to these forums much. :P

Most posts by most posters nowadays can be reduced into "Yeah? Well, you're wrong. And ugly too.", just expressed with less wit and charm. It would be more interesting if people spent more time being wrong than telling others that they are.

Reply #14
Otay. But this probably won't go well. :beard:

Reply #15
In general the summation can be it is simply a copy of the long dragged out Opera.

Reply #16
True. But without new member's random additions there's little digression.

An attempt from one of us to fill that role probably won't be perceived the same and ignored.

(Maybe sociology isn't the way I should go though...)

Reply #17
But we could say that about the occasional newbie who might turn up so still no essential difference from the old Opera.

Reply #18
But we could say that about the occasional newbie who might turn up so still no essential difference from the old Opera.

We need revolutionary newbies in order to survive... :)
They seem difficult to find.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #19

We need revolutionary newbies in order to survive... :)
They seem difficult to find.

I did persuade that Tennessee guy to join up, but it seems as though he's forgotten about us.
Well, that and the fact he is at war with the rest of us on the sports forum I frequent.  :knight:

Reply #21
Yeah Colonel we need to see some very pronounced people here to change the climate. I could try to be more obvious and such but I am such a quiet inoffensive man by nature....

Reply #22
I voted for "posters I usually disagree with". One single vote granted me 12,5%  of electoral results... :)
Besides, I like to keep things personal...

I have a suggestion. That we change sides.
We should create a thread where we must defend the opposite opinion. For example, I will start defending Atheism against jaybro converted into a medieval monk.

That or we'll die of boredom.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #23
That or we'll die of boredom.

As I said almost one year ago we're dying of boredom... nothing changes.
(but the excited neenderthal american politic lovers...)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #24
Most posts by most posters nowadays can be reduced into "Yeah? Well, you're wrong. And ugly too.", just expressed with less wit and charm. It would be more interesting if people spent more time being wrong than telling others that they are.
I'd agree. Certainly, I must have spent a lot of time being wrong! (Many of my opinions have changed, over the decades…) But, rather than just telling me that I'm wrong, I'd like to hear how and why I'm wrong; otherwise, I'm just being told that someone disagrees with me…
Then, I have to take into account what I know of the poster (from their posts, of course) and ascertain how reliable their words are.

But of course this is not a phenomenon; it's not something that we're unfamiliar with. It's called "discourse" — and only occasionally "civil"! :)
进行 ...